Is a Non-Depolarising Suxamethonium an Achievable Target?
Although suxamethonium is still widely used in anaesthesia, its use is frequently associated with many side-effects, most of which (e.g. fasciculations, muscle pain) can be directly attributed to its depolarising mechanism of action. In addition, prolonged neuromuscular blockade (and apnoea) is produced in a small cohort of patients who have an atypical cholinesterase. Lastly the inability to reverse suxamethonium-induced block with an anticholinesterase may produce a potentially dangerous clinical situation in the event of difficulties with intubation. Thus the discovery of a nondepolarising neuromuscular blocking agent possessing the rapid onset/short duration profile of suxamethonium has been a major goal for interested scientists for many years (see Hughes, 1984 and Marshall et al, 1992 for brief reviews).
KeywordsNeuromuscular Blocking Nictitate Membrane Neuromuscular Blocking Agent Nictitate Membrane Neuromuscular Blocking Drug
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buckett, W.R. & Saxena, P. (1969). The pharmacology of dacuronium bromide — a new short-acting neuromuscular blocking drug of non-depolarising type. Abstr. IVth In. Congress in Pharmacology (Basel) 420.Google Scholar
- Marshall, R.J., Muir, A.W., Sleigh, T. & the late D.S. Savage (1992). The search for the non-depolarising equivalent of suxamethonium. In: the Development of Amino-steroidal Neuromuscular Blocking Agents pp21–38. Ed. P. Denissen. Interface, Turnhout.Google Scholar
- van den Broek, L. & Wierda, J.M.K.H. (1993). Org 7617, a short-acting nondepolarising neuromuscular relaxant. Acta Anaesth. Scan. Suppl. 100, 37, Abstr. 084.Google Scholar
- Wierda, J.M.K.H., van den Broek, L., Proost, J.H., Verbaan, B.W. & Hennis, P.J. (1993). Time course of action and endotracheal intubating conditions of Org 9487, a new short-acting steroidal muscle relaxant; a comparison with succinylcholine. Anaesth. Analges. 77, 579–584.Google Scholar
- Wierda, J.M.K.H., Beaufort, A.M., Kleef, U.W., Smeulers, N.J. & Agoston, S. (1994). Preliminary investigations of the clinical pharmacology of three short-acting non-depolarising neuromuscular blocking agents, Org 9453, Org 9489 and Org 9487. Can. J. Anaesth. 41, 213–220.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar