A Three-Step Approach to Factor Analysis on Data of Multiple Testlets
A testlet consists of a text and several items following it. It is often observed that a test consists of multiple testlets. The items within a testlet are more interrelated than they are with other items in the test. In this note, we attempt to show how to estimate common factors in the data of multiple testlets. We start our argument from the rationale of common factor analysis on each testlet. However, we treat the effect of a testlet on the item scores within the testlet as the method effect. If we are able to remove the method effect from subjects’ response data, then we can apply ordinary factor analysis on the residualized scores that remain after partialing out the method effect. Application of our approach is also demonstrated.
KeywordsDesign Factor Confirmatory Factor Analysis Tacit Knowledge Response Alternative Method Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gorsuch, R. L. (1983). Factor analysis ( 2nd Ed. ), Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Harman, H. H. (1976). Modern Factor Analysis. 3rd Ed. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Jöreskog, K. G. and Sörbom, D. (1998). LISREL8. Chicago, IL: Scientific Software.Google Scholar
- Learner, E. E. (1978). Specification Searches: Ad hoc inference with nonexperimental data, New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Polanyi, M. (1958). Personal knowledge: Toward a post-critical philosophy. Chicago: University of Chicago PressGoogle Scholar
- Sternberg, R. J., Wagner, R. K. and Okagaki, L. (1993). Practical Intelligence: The nature and role of tacit knowledge in work and at school. In H. Reese and J. Puckett(Eds), Advances in Lifespan Development, 205–227. Hillsdale, NJ: Earlbaum.Google Scholar
- Sternberg, R. J., Wagner, R. K., Williams, W. M., and Horvath, J. A. (1995). Testing common sense. American Psychologist. November, 912–926.Google Scholar
- Wagner, R. K. and Sternberg, R. J. (1993). TKIM: The commonsense manager, user manual. New York: Hartcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc.Google Scholar
- Harman, H.H (1976). Modern factor analysis. 3rd Ed. Chicago, ILL: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar