Classification and data analysis in finance
The paper gives a brief review of the main areas of financial applications where classification and data analysis methods can be used. First of all, historical context is given. It is shown that the emerging of modern finance was made possible due to use of quantitative methods. The presented applications are divided into two main groups: 1) analysis of financial investments and markets, 2) corporate finance. The review is put in the framework where the relationship between dependent variable and explanatory variables is determined.
KeywordsStock Prex Financial Application Default Risk Data Analysis Method Bond Rating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bachelier, L. (1900): Theory of speculation, Gauthier-Villars, Paris.Google Scholar
- Fama, E. (1965): The behavior of stock prices, Journal of Business, 37, 34–105.Google Scholar
- Lapedes, A. and Farber, R. (1987): Non-linear signal processing using neural networks: prediction and system modeling, Los Alamos National Laboratory Report.Google Scholar
- Markowitz, H.M. (1952): Portfolio selection, Journal of Finance, 7, 77–91.Google Scholar
- Mills, T.C. (1993): The econometric modelling of financisal time series, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Taylor, S. (1986): Modelling financial time series, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar