Fitting Pre-specified Blockmodels
In this paper an optimization approach to blockmodeling for fitting an observed relation to a pre-specified blockmodel is used. The proposed deductive approach to blockmodeling is applied to a concrete example. Some further research directions are also suggested.
KeywordsSocial Network Criterion Function Block Type Deductive Approach Social Network Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Batagelj, V. (1991): STRAN - STRucture ANalysis, Manual, Ljubljana.Google Scholar
- Batagelj, V. (1993): Notes on block modelling. In Abstracts and Short Versions of Papers, 3rd European Conference on Social Network Analysis, München: DJI, 1–9. Extended version in print in Social Networks 1997.Google Scholar
- Ferligoj, A., Batagelj, V. and Doreian, P. (1994): On Connecting Network Analysis and Cluster Analysis, In Contributions to Mathematical Psychology, Psychometrics ; and Methodology ( G.H. Fischer and D. Laming, Eds.), New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Hlebec, V. (1993): Recall versus recognition: Comparison of two alternative procedures for collecting social network data, In Developments in Statistics and Methodology (A. Ferligoj and A. Kramberger, Eds.), Metodoloski zvezki 9, Ljubljana: FDV, 121–128.Google Scholar
- Sampson, S.F. (1968):. 4 Novitiate in a Period of Change: An Experimental and Case Study of Social Relationships, PhD thesis, Cornell University.Google Scholar