In the Japanese eel Anguilla japonica, oocyte development has not been observed to occur under ordinary rearing conditions. Therefore, hormonal treatment is necessary to induce ovarian maturation artificially. Weekly injections of aqueous extract of salmon pituitaries were generally conducted for inducing vitellogenesis (Yamauchi and Yamamoto 1982). 17,20 ß ß-Dihydroxy-4-pregnen-3-one (DHP) injection is effective for the induction of final oocyte maturation and ovulation after the completion of vitellogenesis (Yamauchi 1990; Ohta et al. 1996). Although the induction of ovarian maturation and fertilization of eggs followed the treatment just mentioned, there are some problems such as variable fertility and hatchability of eggs and low survival rate of larvae. Therefore, it is still necessary to improve the methods of hormonal application in the Japanese eel. We have developed an effective method of salmon gonadotropin (sGTH) application for the induction of vitellogenesis in the Japanese eel, and also investigated the function of sGTH. In this chapter, we summarize our recent studies on the induction of vitellogenesis in the Japanese eel.
KeywordsOocyte Diameter Weekly Injection Ovarian Maturation Final Oocyte Maturation Vitellogenin Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bromage NR, Whitehead C, Breton B (1982) Relationships between serum levels of gonadotropin, oestradiol-17 ß ß and vitellogenin in the control of ovarian development in the rainbow trout. II. The effect of environmental photoperiod. Gen Comp Endocrinol 47:366–376Google Scholar
- Harlow E, Lane D(1988) Antibodies: A laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. New York, p 98Google Scholar
- Kanemaru A, Sato N, Kawazoe I, Suzuki Y, Aida K(1998) Body weight changes caused by exogenous salmon gonadotropin during gonadal maturation in Japanese eel. Abstracts for the Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society of Fisheries Science. p 59Google Scholar
- Sato N, Kawazoe I, Suzuki Y, Aida K(1996) Use of an emulsion prepared with lipophilized gelatin for the induction of ovarian maturation in Japanese eel Anguilla japonica. Fish Sci 62:806–814Google Scholar
- Suetake H, Okubo K, Sato N,Yoshiura Y, Suzuki Y, Aida K (2002) Differential expression of two gonadotropin (GTH) ß ß subunit genes during ovarian maturation repeated injection of salmon GTH in Japanese eel, Anguilla japonica. Fish Sci 68:290–298 Google Scholar
- Yamauchi K, Yamamoto K(1982) Experiments of artificial maturation and fertilization of the Japanese eel (Anguilla japonica). In: Proceedings, international symposium on reproductive physiology of fish, Pudoc, Wageningen, pp 185–189Google Scholar