Neonatal Thrombosis: A Critical Appraisal of the Available Evidence on Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Thrombotic disease in newborn infants is common and serious enough to require effective and safe prevention and treatment . However, thrombotic disease in newborns is also sufficiently rare to prompt anecdotal observations rather than controlled clinical trials. While there is an abundance of case reports in the pediatric literature, there is a conspicuous paucity of well-designed studies . As a result, consensus about the appropriate prophylaxis and management of neonatal thrombosis is lacking . In this article, we will examine the available evidence on the efficacy and safety of heparin prophylaxis in infants with indwelling umbilical artery catheters. We will also review the management of symptomatic thrombosis, using aortic thrombosis as an example. We begin with a description of the framework which will be used to assess the strength of evidence that supports current approaches to neonatal thrombosis.
KeywordsNewborn Infant Umbilical Artery Thrombotic Complication Thrombotic Disease Catheter Patency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hyers TM, Hull RD, Weg JG (1986) Antithrombotic therapy for venous thromboembolic disease. Summary and recommendations. Arch Intern Med 146: 467Google Scholar
- 4.Sackett DL (1986) Rules of evidence and clinical recommendations on the use of antithrombotic agents. Arch Intern Med 146: 464–465Google Scholar
- 5.Cochran WD, Davis HT, Smith CA (1968) Advantages and complications of umbilical artery catheterization in the newborn. Pediatr 42: 769–777Google Scholar
- 11.Tooley WH (1972) What is the risk of an umbilical artery catheter? Pediatr 50: 1–2Google Scholar
- 15.Neal WA, Reynolds JW, Jarvis CW, Williams HJ (1972) Umbilical artery catheterization: demonstration of arterial thrombosis by aortography. Pediatr 50: 6–13Google Scholar
- 16.Goetzman BW, Stadalnik RC, Bogren HG, Blankenship WJ, Ikeda RM, Thayer J (1975) Thrombotic complications of umbilical artery catheters: a clinical and radiographic study. Pediatr 56: 374–379Google Scholar
- 21.Gilhooly JT, Lindenberg JA, Reynolds JW (1986) Survey of umbilical artery catheter practices. Clin Res 34: 142AGoogle Scholar
- 22.Rajani K, Goetzman BW, Wennberg RP, Turner E, Abildgaard C (1979) Effect of heparinization of fluids infused through an umbilical artery catheter on catheter patency and frequency of complications. Pediatr 63: 552–556Google Scholar
- 28.Hull RD, Secker-Walker RH, Hirsh J (1987) Diagnosis of deep-vein thrombosis. In: Colman RW, Hirsh J, Marder VJ, Salzman EW (eds) Hemostasis and Thrombosis. Lippincott, Philadelphia, p 1230Google Scholar
- 30.Documenta Geigy: Scientific tables 6th edn (1962) Geigy Pharmaceutical, Manchester, 85–86Google Scholar