Effects of Paid and Unpaid Overtime Work on Stress, Earnings, and Happiness
Working is one of the most basic activities of our lives. It is a way to earn money, and consuming commodities that are purchased with that money can often lead to happiness. Traditional neoclassical economics assumes that people prefer leisure time to working time, and that people work to obtain the money, which is necessary for consumption, and that their utility increases as consumption increases. Following this, people maximize their utility by balancing leisure and work.
KeywordsLife Satisfaction Stress Equation Work Engagement Female Worker Male Worker
- Asano, K., & Kenjo, E. (2011). Working time and satisfaction: Comparison of Japan, UK and Germany (in Japanese). RIETI Discussion Paper Series 11-J-037.Google Scholar
- Hamermesh, D. S., Kawaguchi, D., Lee, J. (2014) Does labor legislation benefit workers? Well-being after an hours reduction. IZA Discussion Paper, No. 8077.Google Scholar
- Headquarters for Japan’s Economic Revitalization (2014). The strategy of Japan revival: Revision 2014, http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/singi/keizaisaisei/pdf/honbunEN.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2015.
- Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training. (2012). Research on the regulation of working hours in foreign countries (in Japanse), JILPT Document, No.104. http://www.jil.go.jp/institute/siryo/2012/documents/0104.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2015.
- Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training. (2014). Data book: International comparison of labor statistics (in Japanse), http://www.jil.go.jp/kokunai/statistics/databook/. Accessed 18 Jan 2015.
- Nikkei BP Net (2008). Managers earn one million yen less than ordinary workers (in Japanese). http://www.nikkeibp.co.jp/feature/080304_nominal01/index.html. Accessed 18 Jan 2015.
- White House (2014). Fact sheet: Opportunity for all: Rewarding hard work by strengthening overtime protections, http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/03/13/fact-sheet-opportunity-all-rewarding-hard-work-strengthening-overtime-pr. Accessed 18 Jan 2015.