Targeting the B Cell Lineage in IgG4-Related Disease
Despite the elevated serum concentration of IgG4 in many patients and the disproportionate number of IgG4+ plasma cells within the affected tissues that constitute essentially a sine qua non of IgG4-related disease, serum IgG4 itself appears to be a reactive phenomenon rather than the primary disease driver. Recent investigations have focused on the interactions between cells of the B cell lineage and a novel CD4+ cytotoxic T cell that is capable of promoting fibrosis.
KeywordsSerum IgG4 Lacrimal Gland Cell Depletion Serum IgG4 Concentration Elevated Serum Concentration
- 1.Wallace ZS, Mattoo H, Carruthers M, Mahajan VS, Della Torre E, Lee H, Kulikova M, Deshpande V, Pillai S, Stone JH. Plasmablasts as a biomarker for IgG4-related disease, independent of serum IgG4 concentrations. Ann Rheum Dis. 2015;74:190–5.Google Scholar
- 2.Mattoo H, Mahajan VS, Della-Torre E, Sekigami Y, Carruthers M, Wallace ZS, Deshpande V, Stone JH, Pillai S. De novo oligoclonal expansions of circulating plasmablasts in active and relapsing IgG-related disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;134:679–87.Google Scholar
- 4.Wallace ZS, Wallace CJ, Lu N, Choi HK, Stone JH. IgG4-related disease is associated with a history of invasive malignancy. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016 (in press).Google Scholar
- 11.Mattoo H, Mahajan VS, Maehara T, Deshpande V, Della-Torre E, Wallace ZS, Kulikova M, Drijvers JM, Daccache J, Carruthers MN, Castellino F, Stone JR, Stone JH, Pillai S. Clonal expansion of CD4 cytotoxic T lymphocytes in patients with IgG-related disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016.Google Scholar
- 12.Dellatorre E, Feeney E, Deshpande V, Mattoo H, Mahajan V, Kulikova M, Wallace ZS, Carruthers M, Chung RT, Pillai S, Stone JH. B-cell depletion attenuates serological biomarkers of fibrosis and myofibroblast activation in IgG4-related disease. Ann Rheum Dis. 2015;74:2236–43.Google Scholar