Pure Transanal Laparoscopic TME without Abdominal Laparoscopy
Transanal rectal dissection was put forward by Toupet 60 years ago in 1950. The objective was to preserve the anal sphincter in low rectal tumors in patients with a narrow pelvis.
At present, there is a renewed interest due to the use of video endoscopes which allow for an excellent visualization of anatomical structures by transanal way. Following the studies of John Marks who described the laparoscopic transanal transabdominal (TATA) surgical procedure, hybrid techniques combining the transanal approach with laparoscopic assistance have increased.
Here, the authors propose a full resection technique of the rectum and of its meso using a purely transanal approach. The different steps of this technique and the required armamentarium have been perfectly described and illustrated.
KeywordsPure transanal TME Rectal cancer PROGRESS TATA NOTES
- 9.Atallah S, Martin-Perez B, Albert M, deBeche-Adams T, Nassif G, Hunter L, et al. Transanal minimally invasive surgery for total mesorectal excision (TAMIS-TME): results and experience with the first 20 patients undergoing curative-intent rectal cancer surgery at a single institution. Tech Coloproctol. 2014;18(5):473–80.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.de Lacy AM, Rattner DW, Adelsdorfer C, Tasende MM, Fernandez M, Delgado S, et al. Transanal natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) rectal resection: “down-to-up” total mesorectal excision (TME)--short-term outcomes in the first 20 cases. Surg Endosc. 2013;27(9):3165–72.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Zorron R, Phillips HN, Coelho D, Flach L, Lemos FB, Vassallo RC. Perirectal NOTES access: “down-to-up” total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Surg Innov. 2012;19(1):11–9.Google Scholar
- 20.Sylla P, Sohn DK, Cizginer S, Konuk Y, Turner BG, Gee DW, et al. Survival study of natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery for rectosigmoid resection using transanal endoscopic microsurgery with or without transgastric endoscopic assistance in a swine model. Surg Endosc. 2010;24(8):2022–30.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Hideo Y. Laparoscopic colectomy using retroperitoneal approach method. Gastroenterologic Surg. 2004;27(6):861–9.Google Scholar