Impact of Natural Disasters on Production Networks and Urbanization in New Zealand
This chapter summarizes New Zealand’s vulnerability to various types of disaster along with highlighting its disaster management structures. It uses the series of earthquakes that affected Christchurch, New Zealand’s second largest city, between September 2010 and early 2012 a case study. I describe the significant effects of the events on the population, labor market, reported crime, urbanization and location of businesses and production of the region. The case study suggests that New Zealand’s arrangements for natural disasters worked well in most regards. The case study also highlights the advantage of international co-operation in the response to natural disasters. It also suggests that while high rates and levels of disaster insurance ameliorate the financial impact, they can complicate achieving effective recovery. The lag before insurers will accept new risks can also create delays and impede the momentum to recovery. The final section of the paper draws from New Zealand’s recent disaster experience in Christchurch to present some policy recommendations relevant to New Zealand and the East Asia region.
KeywordsCentral Business District Replacement Cost Indirect Loss Disaster Insurance Auckland Volcanic Field
- Auckland Regional Council (2012) Volcanoes of Auckland. Auckland Regional Council. http://www.arc.govt.nz/environment/volcanoes-of-auckland/monitoring.cfm. Accessed 28 March 2012
- Bollard, A., & Ranchhod, S. (2011). Economic impacts of seismic risk: Lessons for Wellington. Speech by Dr. Bollard to the Rotary Club of Wellington and Victoria University of Wellington. Organisational Effectiveness in Times of Seismic Risk, 18 October 2011. http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/speeches/4559383.html. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Chapple, S. (1997). The economic effects of the 1931 Hawkes Bay Earthquake, NZIER Working Paper, No. 97/7. Wellington: NZIER.Google Scholar
- Coronial Services of New Zealand. (2012). Media updates from the Chief Coroner. New Zealand: Ministry of Justice Home. http://www.justice.govt.nz/courts/coroners-court/christchurch-earthquake/media-updates-from-the-chief-coroner. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Department of Labour. (2011). A changing landscape: The impact of the earthquakes on Christchurch Workplaces, December 2012. Wellington: Department of Labour.Google Scholar
- Geonet. (2012)a. Auckland volcanic field. Wellington New Zealand: GeoNet. http://www.geonet.org.nz/volcano/our-volcanoes/auckland-volcanic-field.html. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Geonet. (2012)b. Earthquake. New Zealand: GeoNet. http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Geonet. (2012)c. GeoNet’s current landslide monitoring projects and the reports from earlier responses. New Zealand: GeoNet. http://www.geonet.org.nz/landslide/. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Geonet. (2012)d. Historic earthquakes. New Zealand: GeoNet. http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/historic-earthquakes/. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Geonet. (2012)e. Tsunami. New Zealand: GeoNet. http://www.geonet.org.nz/tsunami/. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- GNS Science. (2012)a. Natural hazards. Wellington, New Zealand: GNS Science. http://www.gns.cri.nz/Home/Our-Science/Natural-Hazards. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- GNS Science. (2012)b. Tsunami in New Zealand. New Zealand: GNS Science. http://www.gns.cri.nz/Home/Our-Science/Natural-Hazards/Earth-s-Forces/Tsunami/Tsunami-in-New-Zealand. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- GNS Science (2012)c Volcano monitoring. GNS Science. http://www.gns.cri.nz/Home/Our-848 Science/Natural-Hazards/Alert-Nation/Volcano-Monitoring. Accessed 28 March 2012
- Guy, H. N. (2011). Last international USAR team leaves Christchurch. Scoop Parliament [online], 17 March. http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1103/S00297/last-international-usar-team-leaves-christchurch.htm. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Hallegatte, S., & Przyluski, V. (2010). The Economics of Natural Disasters: Concepts and Methods. World Bank Policy Research Paper, No. 5507, Washington D.C.: World Bank.Google Scholar
- Hickey, B. (2012). RBNZ Governor Alan Bollard Says Bank now estimates ChCh quake claims at NZ$30 bln and delays rebuild forecasts by “few months” to 2013. Interez.co.nz [online], 27 January. http://www.interest.co.nz/news/57652/rbnz-governor-alan-bollard-says-bank-now-estimates-chch-quake-claims-nz30-bln-and-delays. Accessed 28 June 2012.
- Lynch, K., Mathewson, N., & Williams, D. (2011). Quake toll lifted to 184. New Zealand: Fairfax 907 NZ News. http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/6365058/ 908 Quake-toll-lifted-to-184. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Mann, C., & Mathewson, N. (2012). New riverside Red Zone. Fairfax NZ News [online], 23 March. Availabe at: http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/6624862/New-riverside-red-zone. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Morse, K. (2008). NZ’s tsunami monitoring network. Wild Land blog [blog], 18 February. http://wildland.owdjim.gen.nz/?p=568. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- New Zealand History online. (2012)b. The 1918 Flu Pandemic. New Zealand: Ministry for Culture and Heritage. http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/culture/influenza-pandemic-1918. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- NZ army. (2011). Singapore armed forces assistance appreciated. New Zealand army [online], 15 March. http://www.army.mil.nz/at-a-glance/news/media-releases/media-release.htm@guid=%7Bfab412fa-01a3-40f0-b8ea-dcfa9fbe9060%7D.htm. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- NZIER. (2011). Canterbury after the earthquakes, November 2011. Wellington: NZIER.Google Scholar
- Okazaki, T., Ito, K., & Imaizumi, A. (2011). Impact of Natural Disasters on Industrial Agglomeration: The Case of the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake, CIRJE Discussion Paper. Tokyo: CIRJE. http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/research/03research02dp.html. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- One News. (2011a). Chch Quake Cost could hit $30 billion, One News [Online], 25 October. http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/christchurch-quake-cost-could-hit-30-billion-4482971. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Recovery Canterbury. (2011). Further 758 Christchurch Properties Rezoned. Recovery Canterbury [online], 17 November. http://www.recovercanterbury.co.nz/news/126/further-758-christchurch-properties-rezoned.aspx. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Sharpe, M. (2011). What Napier can teach Christchurch about earthquake recovery. Fairfax NZ News [online], 26 March. http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/4811992/What-Napier-can-teach-Christchurch-about-earthquake-recovery. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Statistics New Zealand. (2011a). Household labour force survey, December 2011. Wellington: Statistics New Zealand.Google Scholar
- Statistics New Zealand. (2011b). Sub-national population estimates: 30 June 2011. Wellington: Statistics New Zealand. See http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/population/estimates_and_projections/SubnationalPopulationEstimates_HOTPJun11.aspx. Accessed 28 March 2011.
- Stylianou, G. (2011). Woman’s death lifts earthquake Toll to 185. New Zealand: Fairfax NZ News. http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/6395047/Womans-death-lifts-earthquake-toll-to-185. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- The Breeze (2012). Christchurch business relocation directory. The Breeze [online]. http://www.thebreeze.co.nz/Regions/Christchurch/RelocationDirectory/tabid/578/Default.aspx. Accessed 10 July 2012.
- The Weather Network. (2012). Glossary: weather bomb. The Weather Network. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/glossary/weatherbomb. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Wellington City Library. (2012). Heritage > earthquakes. Wellington: Wellington City Library. http://www.wcl.govt.nz/heritage/earthquakes.html. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Wikipedia. (2012)a. 1931 Hawke’s bay earthquake. Wikipedia [online]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1931_Hawke%27s_Bay_earthquake. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Wikipedia. (2012)c. Cyclone bola. Wikipedia [online]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Bola. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- Wikipedia. (2014). 2009 flu pandemic in New Zealand. Wikipedia [online]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_New_Zealand. Accessed 8 July 2014.
- Wood, A. (2012). February quake ‘Third most expensive’. Fairfax NZ News [online]. http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/rebuilding-christchurch/6663626/February-quake-third-most-expensive. Accessed 28 March 2012.
- World Health Organization. (2012). SARS cases worldwide. USA Today [flash data. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/sarscases/flash.htm. Accessed 28 March 2012.