Imports, Exports and Foreign Businesses in Japan
This chapter discusses imports, exports, and foreign firms’ investments in Japan. Imports to Japan total to about US$ 812 billion and exports from Japan total to about US$ 697 billion in the year of 2013.
Japan consists of two economically vivid areas, Kanto consisting of Tokyo, Saitama, Kawasaki and Yokohama; and the Kansai area consisting of Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe. Both areas are discussed separately. It will be shown that Chinese trade has a bigger impact on Kansai than on Kanto area.
In the next part, information about foreign affiliated firms doing business in Japan will be demonstrated by expanding on Japanese External Trade Organization data. Kansai will also be discussed separately here. At the end of the chapter, some examples of success stories will be given of foreign affiliated firms located in the Kansai region.
KeywordsForeign Firm Chinese Firm Liberal Democratic Party Japanese Firm Japanese Market
- Bebenroth R, Li D, Sekiguchi T (2008) Executive staffing practice patterns in foreign MNC affiliates based in Japan. Asian Business and Management. Palgrave, pp 381–402Google Scholar
- Gaishikei Kigyou Souran (2013) Toyo Keizai. TokyoGoogle Scholar
- JAMA (2014) Japan automobile manufacturers association. Internet: http://jamaserv.jama.or.jp/newdb/index.html. Accessed 23 May 2014
- Jetro (2005) Japan invest. Nestle. http://www.jetro.go.jp/en/invest/reports/newsletter/pdf/ij_05.pdf. Accessed 11 July 2013
- Jetro (2011) Japan invest. Chinese genomic research institute BGI, sets their first Japan base in Kobe. March. http://www.jetro.go.jp/en/invest/success_stories/pdf/1203_bgi_new.pdf. Accessed 11 July 2013
- Jetro (2012) Japan invest. Infosys Limit http://www.jetro.go.jp/en/invest/success_stories/pdf/infosys.pdf. Accessed 11 July 2013
- Kankeiren (2010) Kansai’s new development. An introduction to the Kansai Economy, 2011. Kansai Economic Federation, p 10. Internet: http://www.kankeiren.or.jp/English/economy/pdf/Eibun_Kansai_2010_protect.pdf. Accessed 11 July 2013
- Kansai Kokusaika (2011) Joho file. http://www.kansai.meti.go.jp/2kokusai/file2011/New/index2011.htm. Accessed 4 Nov 2011
- Kinki En (2014) Boeki gaikyou (general outlook of exports from Kansai Area Japan). Osaka Finance OfficeGoogle Scholar
- Kobayashi I (2013) Kaigai M & A ni yaku ni tatsu. Guro-baru zenryaku no kandokoro. Usefulness of foreign M & A. Point of global Strategy.ChuokeizaiGoogle Scholar
- Olcott G, Oliver N (2014) The impact of foreign ownership on gender and employment relations in large Japanese companies. Work, Employ Soc 28(2)1–19. Published online 11 February 2014, http://wes.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/02/11/0950017013490333.full.pdf+html. Accessed 12 April 2014
- Pfoertsch W (2010) Procter & gamble in Japan: from marketing failure to success http://www.pfoertsch.com/wiki/uploads/Main/pgjapancase.pdf. Accessed 11 July 2013
- Urata S (2014) Japan’s trade policy with Asia. Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance, Japan, Public Policy Review, Vol 10(1). March. Internet: https://www.mof.go.jp/english/pri/publication/pp_review/ppr024/ppr024a.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2014