The relationship between annual electric power consumption per capita and gross domestic production (GDP) per capita is investigated. In addition, the values of the annual electric power production by four international agencies that report macro data on socioeconomic systems are examined. An increasing tendency of GDP per capita was found in relation to the annual electric power consumption per capita. The results also showed that the data structure, values, and unit depended on the data on annual electrical power consumption in a sample of organisations: the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), International Energy Agency (IEA), OECD Factbook (Economic, Environmental and Social Statistics), and the United Nations (UN) Energy Statistics Yearbook. Further research should establish data standards and an organisation that would oversee to collection, storage, and distribution of data on socioeconomic systems. A distributed energy management system is proposed for the accurate and rigorous collection of data on electrical power consumption.
KeywordsSensor Node Gross Domestic Product United Nations Smart Grid Information Communication Technology
The author expresses his sincere gratitude to Mr. Maito Takagi (DAN Environmental Design Institute Co., Ltd.) and Mr. Tsuyoshi Nagahiro (SSCA) for their stimulating discussions.
- 1.Fuller, R.B.: Operating manual for spaceship earth. Lars Müller Publishers, Baden (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Goodchild, M.F.: Citizens as voluntary sensors: spatial data infrastructure in the world of Web 2.0. Int. J. Spat. Data Infrastruct. Res. 2, 24–32 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.IDC Energy Insights: Worldwide quarterly smart meter traker makes its debut; forecasts worldwide growth of 13.0 % to 2015, http://www.idc.com. Accessed 4 March 2012
- 4.Kraft, J., Kraft, A.: On the relationships between energy and GNP. J. Energ. Dev. 3, 401–403 (1978)Google Scholar
- 6.Lowell Center for Sustainable Production: What is sustainable production? http://www.sustainableproduction.org/abou.what.php. Accessed 7 March 2014