Lacrimal Gland and Salivary Gland Lesions
Tissue biopsies undertaken to diagnose IgG4-related dacryoadenitis and sialadenitis are of great diagnostic value. Not only do they provide one of the bases for the diagnosis, they also facilitate the differentiation of conditions such as malignant lymphoma. In IgG4-related dacryoadenitis and sialadenitis, as in other types of IgG4-related disease (IgG4-RD), both a marked lymphoplasmacytic infiltrate and fibrosis are characteristic histopathological findings. The plasma cell population within tissue is comprised of an overabundance of IgG4-positive cells, and the IgG4:total IgG ratio is typically in excess of 0.40. Numerous lymph follicles are also found within tissues. Storiform fibrosis and obliterative phlebitis, generally viewed as typical histopathological features of IgG4-RD, are perhaps less common in the salivary and lacrimal glands compared to autoimmune pancreatitis. Thus, some organ-to-organ variability in the pathological features of IgG4-RD is observed.
KeywordsSalivary Gland Submandibular Gland Lacrimal Gland Minor Salivary Gland Autoimmune Pancreatitis
For assistance with the tissue specimens we would like to express here our deep gratitude to Professor Haruyuki Tatsumi, First Department of Anatomy, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Professor Tadashi Hasegawa, Department of Surgical Pathology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, and Dr. Akira Suzuki, KKR Sapporo Medical Center, Department of Diagnostic Pathology.
- 12.Mikulicz J. Über eine eigenartige symmetrishe Erkrankung der Tranen und Mundspeicheldrusen. Beitr z Chir Fesrschr f Theodor Billroth, Stuttgart; 1892. pp 610–30.Google Scholar
- 14.Sjögren H. Zur Kenntnis der Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca. Acta Ophthalmol. 1933; Suppl II:1–151.Google Scholar
- 15.Morgan WS, Castleman B. A clinicopathologic study of “Mikulicz’s disease”. Amer J Pathol. 1953;29:471–503.Google Scholar
- 17.Yamamoto M, Takahashi H, Mizukoshi T, et al. A male case of Sjögren’s syndrome presenting with generalized lymphadenopathy and swelling of both lacrimal and salivary glands which responded remarkably well to an administration of corticosteroids. Nihon Rinsho Meneki Gakkai Kaishi. 2000;23:22–9 (in Japanese).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Küttner H. Ueber entzündliche tumoren der submaxillar-speicheldruse. Bruns Beitr Klin Chir. 1896;15:815–28.Google Scholar
- 24.Notohara K, Wani Y, Fujisawa M. Storiform fibrosis in various organs involved by IgG4-related disease. International symposium on IgG4-related disease; 2011. p 4.Google Scholar
- 26.Tabeya T, Yamamoto M, Naishiro Y, et al. Markedly decreased release of cytotoxic granules causes down-regulation of apoptosis in IgG4-related disease. 2013; in submitted.Google Scholar