Integrated Real-Time Acoustic Communication System for Controlling of Bio-inspired Underwater Robot
Robot control system construction that uses an underwater robot is essential in the oceanic environment. In this paper, we designed a robot system optimized for the underwater environment and proposed a hybrid MAC protocol considering both real time operation and energy efficiency, which is especially important for underwater communication system. Also, we examined the designed hardware of underwater robot control system in detail, and carried out simulations to evaluate the performance of the proposed MAC protocol using Matlab. The simulation results showed that the proposed model achieves better performance than conventional models.
KeywordsUnderwater Robot Underwater Environment Robot Control System Underwater Communication Acoustic Modem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Pompili, D., Melodia, T., Akyilidiz, I.F.: A CDMA-Based Medium Access Control for Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 8(4) (April 2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Heidemann, J., Ye, W., Wills, J., Syed, A., Li, Y.: Research challenges and applications for underwater sensor networking. In: IEEE WCNC (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Proakis, J., Sozer, E., Rice, J., Stojanovic, M.: Shallow water acoustic networks. IEEE Commun. Mag., pp. 114–119 (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Choi, H.-T., et al.: Development of Underwater Robot & Underwater Acoustic Signal Recognition System. In: Proceedings of CICS (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Choi, H.-T., et al.: Design of a Control and Sensor System of Underwater Robot for Implementing Robot Intelligence. Proceedings of the IEEK 33(1) (June 2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Shin, S.Y., Namgung, J.I., Park, S.H.: SBMAC: Smart Blocking MAC mechanism for Variable UW-ASN (Underwater Acoustic Sensor Network) Environment. Sensors 10(1) (January 2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Kim, Y.-P., Namgung, J.-I., Yun, N.-Y., Cho, H.-J., Park, S.-H.: Design and Implementation of the Test-bed for Underwater Acoustic Sensor Network based on ARM9 Processor. IEEE Computer Society (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Rodoplu, V., Park, M.K.: An energy-efficient MAC protocol for underwater wireless acoustic networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE OCEANS 2005 Conference (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Molins, M., Stojanovic, M.: Slotted FAMA: a MAC protocol for underwater acoustic network. In: Proceedings of the IEEE OCEANS 2006 Asia Conference (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Fullmer, C.L., Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J.J.: Floor acquisition multiple access (FAMA) for packetradio networks, June 07 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.WHOI Acoustic Communications: Micro-Modem, http://acomms.whoi.edu/umodem