Biodiversity Research for the Development of Indicator Organisms in Environment-Preserving Agriculture
Conservation of biodiversity is one of the most important issues in the twenty-first century. The Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) was adopted at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCET, the Earth Summit) held in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) in 1992. The tenth Conference of the Parties to CBD (COP 10) was held at Nagoya (Japan) in October 2010.
KeywordsPaddy Field Pitfall Trap Indicator Organism Vegetable Field Indicator Candidate
We thank Prof. Nakasuji, the leader of this research project, for his advice, discussions, and encouragement throughout the research. This research project was supported by a Grant-in-Aid from the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries of Japan (Selection of functional biodiversity indicators and development of assessment methods 1111-3111).
- Gurr GM, Wratten SD, Altieri MA (eds) (2004) Ecological engineering for pest management: advances in habitat manipulation for arthropods. CSIRO, MelbourneGoogle Scholar
- Kobayashi T, Noguchi Y, Hiwada T, Kanayama K, Maruoka N (1973) Studies on the arthropod associations in paddy fields, with particular reference to insecticidal effect on them. I. General composition of the arthropod fauna in paddy fields revealed by net-sweeping in Tokushima Prefecture. Kontyû 41: 359–373 (in Japanese with English summary)Google Scholar
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Island, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of the Environment of Japan (2010) The National Biodiversity Strategy of Japan 2010. Ministry of the Environment of Japan, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- Moran MD (2003) Arguments for rejecting the sequential Bonferroni in ecological studies. Oikos 100:403–405Google Scholar
- Settle WH, Ariawan H, Astuti ET, Cahyana W, Hakim AL, Hindayana D, Lestari AS, Pajarningshih, Sartanto (1996) Managing tropical rice pests through conservation of generalist natural enemies and alternative prey. Ecology 77:1975–1988Google Scholar
- Yamamoto S, Kusumoto Y (2009) Biodiversity and semi-natural ecosystems in paddy. In: Proceedings of the workshop 4 “Biodiversity and agro-ecosystem in rice paddy landscape in monsoon Asia” in MARCO symposium 2009. W4-08, 1-6. Available on <http://www.niaes.affrc.go.jp/marco/marco2009/english/program/workshop/04.html>