ILTER and JaLTER: Their Missions and Linkage to Database Development in the Asia-Pacific Region
A Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) program was originally established in 1980 by the National Science Foundation to support research on long-term ecology in the United States. The LTER network was founded with the recognition that long-term and broad-scale research is necessary to understand various environmental phenomena. This necessity has become increasingly pressing with the increased human effects on populations, communities, ecosystems, and the biosphere (US Long Term Ecological Research Network 2011).
KeywordsEcological Research Data Paper Global Biodiversity Information Facility Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency Executive Group
We thank H. Kamauchi of Hokkaido University for his help collecting materials for this manuscript. We also thank E. Maita and T. Matsunaga of the National Institute of Environmental Studies, A. Ogawa of The University of Tokyo, and the executive group of the Japan Long-Term Ecological Research Network for their contributions to the JaLTER network and database activities. Thanks are also due to Professor M. Ito for his invitation to write this chapter for the JaLTER network. The present JaLTER activities were partly supported by the Global Environment Research Fund (D-0909, D-1102) from the Ministry of the Environment and by the Green Network of Excellence, Environmental Information from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan.
- Biodiversity Center of Japan, Ministry of the Environment (2011) Monitoring Site 1000 Projects. [Online]. Retrieved on 11 May 2011 from: http://www.biodic.go.jp/moni1000/index.html (in Japanese)
- International Long Term Ecological Research Network (2011) About ILTER. [Online]. Retrieved on 11 May 2011 from: http://www.ilternet.edu/about
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (2011) Global Change Observation Mission-Climate (GCOM-C). [Online]. Retrieved on 11 May 2011 from: http://www.jaxa.jp/projects/sat/gcom_c/index_e.html
- Japan Long-Term Ecological Research Network (2011) About JaLTER. [Online]. Retrieved on 11 May 2011 from: http://www.jalter.org/modules/about/
- JapanFLUX (2011) About JapanFlux. [Online]. Retrieved on 11 May 2011 from: http://www.japanflux.org/index_E.html
- Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity (2011a) Ecological Metadata Language (EML) Specification. [Online]. Retrieved on 16 May 2011 from: http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/eml/eml-2.1.0/index.html
- Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity (2011b) Software Products. [Online]. Retrieved on 11 May 2011 from: http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/
- Shibata H (2008) Japan Long-Term Ecological Research Network (JaLTER) toward integrated interdisciplinary analysis of ecosystem services with human-environment linkage. GLP News 4:17-18. Global Land Project (IGBP/IHDP) International Project Office, DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- US Long Term Ecological Research Network (2011) LTER Network History. [Online]. Retrieved on 11 May 2011 from: http://www.lternet.edu/about/history.html