Continental Crust and Granitic Plutons
It is well known that the solid Earth is wholly covered by a thin rock layer called the crust. The Earth’s crust is made up of two parts. One is oceanic crust and the other is continental crust. Oceanic crust occupies about 60% and continental crust occupies the remaining 40% of the solid Earth’s surface. Oceanic crust is generally believed to form at oceanic ridges by cooling and solidification of basaltic magma that forms from mantle convection. However, the origin of continental crust has not yet been clearly elucidated. Today, most researchers have come to think that continental crust has been separated from the mantle throughout the Earth’s history. However, there remains a wide range of opinions on the processes of its formation.
KeywordsContinental Crust Oceanic Crust Greenstone Belt Mantle Convection Continental Collision
- Lizarralde D, Holbrook WS, McGreary S, Bangs N, Diebold JB (2002) Crustal construction of volcanic arc, wide-angle seismic results from the western Alaska Peninsula. J Geophys Res 107. doi:10.1029/2001JB000230Google Scholar
- O’Neil J, Maurice C, Stevenson RK, Larocque J, Cloquet C, David J, Francis D (2007) The geology of the 3.8 Ga Nuvvuagittuq (Porpoise Cove) greenstone belt, Northeastern Superior Province, Canada. In: Martin J, Kranendonk V, Smithies RH, Bennett VC (eds) Earth’s oldest rocks, Condie KC (Series ed) Developments in Precambrian Geology 15, 219–250Google Scholar
- Taira A, Tashiro M (1987) Late Paleozoic and Mesozoic accretion tectonics in Japan and eastern Asia. In: Taira A, Tashiro M (eds) Hisrtorical biogeography and plate tectonic evolution of Japan and Eastern Asia. Terra Scientific Publishing Company,Tokyo, pp 1–43Google Scholar