Surgical Treatment for Ossification of the Posterior Longitudinal Ligament of the Thoracic Spine: Outcomes of One-Stage Posterior Decompression with Corrective Fusion Surgery
One-stage posterior decompression surgery by expansive laminoplasty combined with correction of kyphosis with instrumentation was performed to treat OPLL of the thoracic spine, regardless of the type of ossification. The procedure allowed both direct and indirect decompression of the spinal cord. Spinal decompression as a result of correcting kyphosis was confirmed by IOSS. In some cases, both motor evoked potentials and CMAPs, which had initially diminished following the decompression procedure, recovered immediately after correcting the kyphosis. This surgical procedure provided good outcomes, regardless of the type of OPLL.
KeywordsThoracic Spine Spinal Cord Compression Thoracic Kyphosis Compound Muscle Action Poten Posterior Longitudinal Ligament
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Matsuyama Y, Satou K, Kawakami N (2000) Thoracic ossification of posterior longitudinal ligament: evaluation of postoperative deteriorated cases (in Japanese). Rinsho Seikeigeka 35:39–46Google Scholar
- 3.Fujimura Y, Satomi K, Hirabayashi H (1989) Indication and limitation of the anterior decompression for ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament in the thoracic spine (in Japanese). J Sekitsui Sekizui 2:671–677Google Scholar
- 4.Fujimura Y, Koyanagi T, Toyama Y (1993) Long-term follow-up of the anterior decompression for ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament in the thoracic spine (in Japanese). J Sekitsui Sekizui 6:873–879Google Scholar
- 6.Ohtani K, Masuashi K, Shibasaki K (1977) Anterior decompression for ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament in the thoracic spine (in Japanese). Rinsho Seikeigeka 12:353–359Google Scholar
- 8.Ohotsuka K, Terayama K, Tsuchiya S (1983) Anterior decompression via posterior approach for the spinal cord in the thoracic lesion (in Japanese). Orthop Surg Traumatol 26:1083–1090Google Scholar