Sense-Making Processes in the Council of Ministers: From the ECSC to the European Constitution
The Council acts in its capacity as legislator when it adopts, on the basis of the relevant provisions of the Treaties, legally binding standards in or for Member States by means of regulations, directives, framework decisions or decisions. Internal measures, administrative or budgetary acts, acts concerning interinstitutional or international relations and non-binding acts such as conclusions, recommendations or resolutions are not regarded as legislative acts. As regards definitive legislative acts adopted by the Council, the summaries contain, where appropriate, the result of the votes and the statements for the minutes by the Council, the Commission or the Member States.
KeywordsMember State National Interest Foreign Affair European Council Secretary General
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christiansen, T. (2001): The Council of Ministers: The politics of institutionalized intergovernmentalism, in: Richardson, J. (Ed.): European Union: Power and policymaking, London-New York, NY, pp. 135–154.Google Scholar
- Dinan, D. (1994): Ever closer union? An introduction to the European Community, Chatham, Kent.Google Scholar
- Hayes-Renshaw, F.; Wallace, H. (1997): The Council of Ministers, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Lewis, J. (2003): The Council of the European Union, in: Cini, M. (Ed.): European Union Politics, Oxford, pp. 148–165.Google Scholar
- McCormick, J. (1996): The European Union: Politics and policies, Boulder, CO.Google Scholar
- McCormick, J. (1999): Understanding the European Union: A concise introduction, Houndmills-Basingtonstoke.Google Scholar
- Nugent, N. (2003): The government and policies in the European Union, Houndmills-Basingstoke.Google Scholar
- Schout, A.; Guggenbühl, A.; Bayer, N. (2004): The presidency in the EU of 25, in: Eipascope 2, pp. 24–27.Google Scholar
- Sherrington, P. (2000): The Council of Ministers: Political authority in the European Union, London.Google Scholar
- Wessels, W. (2001): Die Vertragsreformen von Nizza — Zur institutionellen Erweiterungsreife, in: Integration, Vol. 24, No. I, p. 12.Google Scholar
- Westlake, M. (1995): The Council of the European Union, London.Google Scholar