Developments in UK maritime hospitality management
The Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) has recently completed a project to develop National Occupational Standards and a qualification structure for Maritime Hospitality Management. The work was undertaken in recognition of the importance in attracting and retaining people with hospitality skills at management levels for passenger shipping (to include the cruise, superyacht and ferry industries). This paper presents, for the first time, the newly designed qualification structure, charts the work that led to the inception of the project and provides commentary to show how progress was made. The Merchant Navy Training Board believes the new structure is important for passenger shipping companies because, as well as forming the basis for industry specific qualifications, the suite of national occupational standards can be used for a broad range of activities including: to inform training decisions; to draw up job descriptions; and to provide a framework for training and development.
KeywordsQualification Structure Company Policy Cruise Ship Core Unit Passenger Shipping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anon (2007), British Ferry routes on a steep upward curve, URL: http://www.directferries.co.uk/news/2007july.htm, Access Date: 16/07/07
- Anon (2008), Ferry Volumes, July-August 2008, Cruise and Ferry InfoGoogle Scholar
- Frank, R. (2008), Superyacht market stays strong, The Wall Street Journal, 19 June 2008Google Scholar
- Gibson, P. (2007), Credible careers: tomorrow’s cruise hotel managers, Paper presented at the Cruise Shipping Opportunities and Challenges: markets, technologies and local development, 4–6 October 2007, Naples, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Gibson, P. & Nell, J. (2003), Professional development and hotel services on cruise ships, Paper presented at the Cruise and Ferry Conference 2003, Earls Court LondonGoogle Scholar
- Kranz, P. (2008), In the world of superyachts bigger is better, International Herald Tribune, 16 March 2008Google Scholar
- Mackinnon Partnership (2006), Maritime Hospitality Project, London: Merchant Navy Training BoardGoogle Scholar
- MNTB (2008), Web Page, Retrieved 2 July 2008Google Scholar
- Ocean Shipping Consultants (2002), Ferries: world fleet and market prospects to 2012, Chertsey: Ocean Shipping Consultants Ltd.Google Scholar
- Ofqual (2008), National qualifications framework, Retrieved 7 July 2008Google Scholar
- People 1st (2008), First for skills, URL: http://www.peoplelst.co.uk/, Access Date: 07/07/08