Factors Influencing the Degree of On-Board Content Engagement – A Qualitative Study
The management of an efficient and effective information flow on cruise ships is essential for the success of a cruise vacation. The more complex the offered cruise product gets and the more extensive the on-board content becomes the more difficult it is to provide the individual customer with the demanded information. In addition, the high amount of cruise content elements is distributed by many different sources through various channels. This cruise content complexity hampers the guests’ simple and straightforward usage. Interviews with cruise passengers have been conducted in order to identify the factors influencing the customers’ engagement with the information provided on board. From the findings a qualitative model has been derived that illustrates the critical factors. The model is created in order to give implications on how to facilitate the flow of information by delivering conditions to improve the cruise content usefulness and ease of use to the individual guest.
KeywordsGround Theory Axial Code Customer Segment Selective Code Cruise Ship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- America’s Vacation Center (2010), Mega Cruise Ships Deliver More. Retrieved November 14, 2010, from America’s Vacation Center. http://www.americasvacationcenter.com/Research/Articles/100663/Mega-Cruise-Ships-Deliver-More.html.
- Choo, C. W. (2002), Information Management for the Intelligent Organization: The Art of Environmental Scanning (3rd ed.). Medford, NJ: Learned Information.Google Scholar
- Costa Crociere S.p.A. (2010), Costa Pacifica. Retrieved November 14, 2010, from costakreuzfahrten.de. http://www.costakreuzfahrten.de/B2C/D/Shopping/Ships/PA/Default.htm
- Davidson, A. L. (2002), Grounded Theory. Retrieved December 7, 2010, from essortment.com. http://www.essortment.com/all/groundedtheory_rmnf.htm.
- Goulding, C. (1999), Grounded Theory: some reflections on paradigm, procedures and misconceptions. Retrieved December 7, 2010, from University of Wolverhampton, Working Paper Series, WP006/99. http://www.wlv.ac.uk/PDF/uwbs_WP006-99%20Goulding.pdf
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Ltd. (2010), Liberty of the Seas. Retrieved November 14, 2010, from royalcaribbean.com. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do;jsessionid=0000hZHdHyDAVjUUEINI3EOUDbC:12hdhubrs?br=R&shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=LB&shipName=Liberty+Of+The+Seas+++++++++++.