Managing Ecological Balance
The global tourism industry is approaching a T-junction, with a choice of routes, leading in one direction to sustainable and long-term value creation, where restoration of ecosystems is at the core of the business model, whereas the other direction, if left uncorrected (and currently more appealing) will result in the continued decline of the oceans, earth and living systems that support life on the planet.
KeywordsBusiness Model Ecological Footprint Tourism Industry United Nations Environment Programme Ecological Balance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allenby, B. and Sarewitz, D. (2011), “We’ve Made a World we Cannot Control", New Scientist, 14 May 2011.Google Scholar
- Barry, M. (2011), Personal Interview With Author.Google Scholar
- Bristow, R. (2011), “Rethinking Business”, Guardian, Guardian News and Media Limited, London, available at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/iancheshire-bandq-kingfisher-online-q-a (accessed 18 January 2012).
- Business Green (2011), “Obituary: Ray Anderson – the ‘radical industrialist’”, http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/feature/2100398/obituary-ray-anderson-radicalindustrialist (accessed 15 Janaury 2012).
- Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (2010), available at: http://www.ceh.ac.uk/news/press/european-nitrogen-assessment-pressrelease.asp (accessed 22 February 2012).
- Chamberlain, G. (2012), “’They’re killing Us’: World’s Most Endangered Tribe Cries For Help“, The Observer 22 April 2012, Guardian News and Media Limited, London.Google Scholar
- Clark, A. (2010), “The Future is Organic”, Paper Presented to Guelph Organic Seminar Series.Google Scholar
- Clarke, J. (2012), “Saving Energy at the Hotel“, availabel at: http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/green-travel/arrival/save-energy-at-the-hotel.html (accessed 29 June 2012).
- Daly, H. (2008), “A Steady State Economy”, UK Sustainable Development Commission.Google Scholar
- De Groot R., Fisher B. and Christie, M. (2010), “Integrating the Ecological and Economic Dimensions in Biodiversity and Ecosystem Service Valuation”, available at: http://www.rncalliance.org/epages/rncalliance.sf/ (accessed 29 June 2012).
- Dickinson J. and Lumsdon, L. (2010), “Slow Tourism”, Journal of Transport Geography.Google Scholar
- Gillies, R. (2011), “How We Do Business Report”, Marks & Spencer Group plc.Google Scholar
- Global Footprint Network (2010), “Ecuador Addresses its Ecological Balance Sheet”, Global Footprint Network, available at: http://www.footprintnetwork.org/ (accessed 22 November 11).
- Gossling, S., Borgstrom, C., Hansson, Horstmeier, O. and Saggel, S. (2002), “Ecological footprint analysis as a tool to assess tourism sustainability”, Ecological Economics, p. 43.Google Scholar
- Hawken, P., (2007), Blessed Unrest, Viking Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Jackson, T. (2009), “Prosperity Without Growth”, Transition to a Sustainable Economy, Sustainability Commission, London.Google Scholar
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005), available at: http://www.millenniumassessment.org/documents/document.356.aspx.pdf (accessed 14 February 2012).
- Murray, R., Caulier-Grice, J., Mulgan, J. (2010), “The Open Book of Social Innovation”, The Young Foundation.Google Scholar
- Muse, T. (2011), “Amazon Town Bans Tourists”, World News, The Guardian, 25 March 2011, The Guardian, Guardian News and Media Limited, London, available at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/25/indigenous-peoples-amazon-tourismpressures(accessed 3 July 2006).
- OECD (2007), “Glossary of Statistical Terms”, OECD, Paris, available at: http://stats.oecd.org/glossary/download.asp (accessed 29 June 2012).
- Procter & Gamble (2011), “Sustainability Overview: Commitment to Everyday Life”, P & G, available at: http://www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/sustainability/reports/PG_2011_Sustainability_Report.pdf (accessed 29 June 2012).
- Radford, T. (2004), “Warning Sounded on Decline of Species”, The Guardian, London, available at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/mar/19/taxonomy.science (accessed 17 February 2012).
- Spowers, H. (2011), River Simple Website, available at: http://www.riversimple.com/LatestNews.aspx (accessed 29 June 2012).
- Stiglitz, J., Sen, A. and Fitoussi, J.-P. (2009), “The Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress Revisited”, available at: http://www.stiglitz-senfitoussi.fr/documents/rapport_anglais.pdf (accessed 29 June 2012).
- Sustainable Tourism (2012), “Vision”, available at: http://www.sustainabletourism.net(accessed 12 February 2012)
- TEEB (2010), “The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity”, Fact Sheet, December, UNEP, available at: http://www.teebweb.org/Portals/25/Documents/FACT%20SHEET%20TEEB%20Jan2011.pdf (accessed 3 July 2012).
- TEEB (2010), “The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity Report for Business – Executive Summary”,Google Scholar
- The Scarlet Hotel, 2012, Initiatives, available at: http://www.scarlethotel.co.uk/environment_initiatives.asp (accessed 20 March 2012).
- Thomas Cooke plc. (2010), Sustainability Report, available at: http://sustainability2010.thomascookgroup.com/approach/about.html (accessed 15 February 2012).
- Thomas Cooke plc. (2011), “What is Sustainable Tourism”, available at: http://www.thomascook.com/sustainable-tourism/ (accessed 11 February 2012)
- Tourism Concern (2012), “Vision, Mission & Principles”, available at: http://www.tourismconcern.org.uk/mission.html (accessed 14 January 2012).
- Tui Travel Plc. (2010), “Sustainable Development Report: Towards a More Sustainable Future”.Google Scholar
- UKSDC (2008), ”A Steady State Economy”.Google Scholar
- UNEP (2010a), “Greening Economy”, Division of Technology, Industry and Economics, UNEP, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- UNEP (2010b), “Our Planet, Natural Capital of Biodiverity”, The magazine of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Nairobi, Kenya.Google Scholar
- Unilever (2010), “Sustainable Living Plan”.Google Scholar
- Welsh Government (2012), Sustaining a Living Wales Consultation Document.Google Scholar
- Werbach, A. (2009), “Strategy for Sustainability”, A Business Manifesto, Harvard Business Press, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- World Bank (2011), World Development Indicators database, World Bank Group, Washington, available at: http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/worlddevelopment-indicators (accessed 29 June 2012).
- WTTC (World Travel & Tourism Council) (2011), “Economic Impact of Travel & Tourism”, WTTC, London, http://www.wttc.org/site_media/uploads/downloads/4pp_document_for_WTM_RGB.pdf (accessed 29 June 2012).
- WWF (2010), “Living Planet Report”, WWF, Gland, Switzerland, http://assets.wwf.ca/downloads/lpr2010.pdf (accessed 29 June 2012).
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) (2012), “Ecological Balance”, available at: http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/teacher_resources/webfieldtrips/ecological_balance/ (accessed 17 February 2012).