Who’s Afraid of Ubiquitous Promotion? Exploring the Effects of Privacy Concerns
Our business-to-consumer markets are becoming increasingly ubiquitous. Due to quickly advanced wireless communication technology, many firms have already adopted mobile-based promotions. For example, DreamWorks Home Entertainment used a viral campaign for the DVD of the film The Ring 2 that operated on mobile phones and email accounts. Visitors to the campaign site were invited to “scare their friends” by entering their email address and mobile telephone number. The site then sent them an email, inviting them to click on a link and watch the video. McDonald’s offers three different types of mobile coupons on three different platforms, from the basic text-only SMS version to the graphically rich version—that is, fully trackable and redeemable, all without any POS hardware or software requirements (iMedia Connection, 2005a, b).
KeywordsPersonal Information Behavioral Intention Privacy Concern Coupling Constraint Spatial Mobility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cloudmark (2008). Mobile Operators Brace for Global Surge in Mobile Messaging Abuse. February 11, available at http://www.marketwire.com/mw/rel_us_print.jsp?id=819426 (accessed March 28, 2008).
- CNET.co.uk (2006). Mobile spam spells trouble for text-based ads. November 16, available at http://news.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029678,49285278,00.htm (accessed April 4, 2008).
- iMedia Connection (2005a). McDonald’s Goes Mobile. Creative Showcase. available at: http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/7191.asp (accessed November 18, 2005).
- iMedia Connection (2005b). Ringing in a New Marketing Strategy. Creative Showcase. available at: http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/6672.asp (accessed November 14, 2005).
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J., Anderson, R.E., & Tatham, R.L. (2006). Multivariate Data Analysis. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Hägerstrand, T. (1975). Space, Time and Human Conditions. In Dynamic Allocation of Urban Space, A. Karlqvist, L. Lundquist, and F. Snickars, eds. Farnborough, UK: Saxon House, 3-14.Google Scholar
- Keppel, Geoffrey (1991). Design and Analysis: A Researcher’s Handbook. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Mobile Marketing Association (2007). Mobile Marketing Industry Glossary. Mobile Marketing Association. available at: http://www.mmaglobal.com (accessed March2, 2008).
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (2008). Policies related to annoying emails prevention. available at http://www.soumu.go.jp/joho_tsusin/d_syohi/m_mail.html (accessed March 1, 2008) (in Japanese).
- Multinational Monitor. Commercial Alert: Advergaming. 2008(November/December), 56.Google Scholar