Visiting friends & relatives (VFR)
Ambiguity of an underestimated form of tourism
What exactly is ‘Visiting Friends and Relatives’ (VFR) tourism? Where does its scope start and where does it end? Can visiting friends and relatives really be regarded as a form of tourism?
KeywordsLocal Economy Marketing Activity Local Destination International Energy Agency Trip Purpose
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
5.5 References & recommended reading
- Braunlich, C. & Nadkarni, N. (1995), The importance of the VFR market to the hotel industry,Journal of Tourism Studies, 6(1), 38–47Google Scholar
- Burkart, A.& Medlik, S. (1994),Tourism: Past, Present, and Future, London: HeinemannGoogle Scholar
- Denman, E. (1998),A response to the VFR market, UK: BTA/ETB Consultancy ReportGoogle Scholar
- ETC (2002),Visits to Friends and Relatives, London: English Tourist BoardGoogle Scholar
- Jackson, R. (1990), VFR tourism: is it underestimated?,Journal of Tourism Studies, 1(2), 10–17Google Scholar
- Morrison, A., Hsieh, S. & O'Leary, J. (1995), Segmenting the friends and relatives market by holiday activity participation,Journal of Tourism Studies, 6(1) , 48–63.Google Scholar
- Nickerson, N. & Bendix, D. (1991), A new look at VFR (visiting friends and relatives), Proceedings of 22ndAnnual Conference of the Travel and Tourism Research Association, 373–379Google Scholar
- Seaton, A. & Tagg, S. (1995), Disaggregating friends and relatives in VFR tourism research: the northern ireland evidence 1991-1993,Journal of Tourism Studies, 6(1) , 6–18Google Scholar
- Simkins, J. (2009),The "Cheap Oil Era" is Ending Soon, Baltimore: Money MorningGoogle Scholar
- Wilkonson, P. (2008), Predictions, past and present: World and Caribbean tourism,Futures,Google Scholar
- Young, C., Corsun, D. & Baloglu, S. (2006),A Taxonomy of Hosts - Visiting friends and relatives,Annals of Tourism Research, 497–516Google Scholar
© Gabler Verlag | Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden GmbH 2011