The following chapter will introduce the reader into the relatively new and growing tourism niche “Film Tourism” by giving you an overview of the whole topic. Film tourism can be defined as a branch of cultural tourism (Zimmermann, 2003, p.76) and refers to the growing interest and demand for locations which became popular due to their appearance in films and television series. In his interpretation, Zimmermann describes film tourism as all forms of travelling to destinations, which in general enable a connection with the world of film (Zimmermann, 2003, p.76).Further, it can be divided into three separate sub-categories, including film promotion tourism, travel film tourism4 and film induced tourism as illustrated in the diagram below. The third category will be the main focus in this chapter.
KeywordsTour Operator Target Market Tourism Management Film Industry Visitor Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
16.5 References & recommended reading
- Atlantic Travel Agency (2009), Film tourism offers in German travel agencies, (Tomala, K.& Faber, F., Interviewers)Google Scholar
- Butler, R. (1990),The influence of the media in shaping international tourist patterns,The Tourism Recreation ResearchGoogle Scholar
- CineSpace (2009),cinespace home,URL: www.cinespace.eu/user.html, Access Date: 11/01/09
- Film und Tourismus (n.d.),URL:www.fotos-glotzen.de/definition.htm, Access Date: 10/11/09Google Scholar
- Movie Tourism Group (2007), Do movies influence you to travel to certain places?- A forum to discuss the influence of movies on travel, URL: www.mediatourism.blogspot.com/2006/11/do-movies-influence-you-to-travel-to.html, Access Date: 04/01/09
- On location Tours Inc. (n.d.),URL:www.zerve.com/OnLocation/GSATC, Access Date: 13/01/09
- Roger W. Riley, C.S. (1992), Movies as tourism promotion- A 'pull' factor in a push' location,Tourism Management, 267–274Google Scholar
- Zimmermann, S. (2003),"Reisen in den Film"- Filmtoursimus in Nordafrika, URL: www.staff.uni-mainz.de/egner/Zimmermann.pdf, Access Date: 07/11/08