The Hedonistic Consumption of Luxury and Iconic Wines
In recent years, the complexity of the wine market has led to a number of attempts to segment wine consumers ; . However, as criticism of segmentation models has become increasingly strident, many studies have sought to examine the relationship between involvement and perceptions of wine quality.
KeywordsLuxury Good Wine Industry Wine Consumption Luxury Product Experiential Marketing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
-  Atwal, G./Williams, A. (2009): Luxury Brand Marketing – The Experience is Everything!, in: Journal of Brand Brand Management, Vol. 1, No. 5-6, pp. 338-346.Google Scholar
-  Atwal, G./Bryson, D./von Gersdorff, J. (2010): Deluxurufication is in fashion, in: Admap, Vol. 4, No. 10, pp. 44-45.Google Scholar
-  Basset, G. (2003): The Wine Experience. Kyle Cathie: London.Google Scholar
-  Beverland, M. B. (2005):. Crafting brand authenticity: The case of luxury wines, in: Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 1003-1029.Google Scholar
-  Bocock, R. (2003): Consumption. Routledge: London.Google Scholar
-  Bruwer, J./Alant, K. (2009): The hedonic nature of wine tourism consumption: an experiential view, in: International Journal of Wine Business Research, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 235-257.Google Scholar
-  Carlton, J./Kesmodel, D. (2009): Luxury wine market reels from downturn. WSJ, July 8 2009, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124700844235408441.html, accessed November 11 2011.Google Scholar
-  Charters, S./Pettigrew, S. (2003): I like it, but how do I know if it’s any good?, in: Journal of Research for Consumers, Vol. 5, pp. 22-45.Google Scholar
-  CII/A.T. Kearney (2011): India Luxury Review 2011. http://www.atkearney.com/images/global/pdf/India_Luxury_Review_2011_CIIAT_Kearney_Report-edited_v02.pdf, accessed December 10 2011.
-  Du Gay, P. (1996): Consumption and Identity At Work. Sage: USA.Google Scholar
-  Dubois, B./Laurent G./Czellar, S. (2001): Consumer rapport to luxury: Analysing complex and ambivalent attitudes, in: Les cahiers de Recherche, Vol. 33, No. 0, pp. 1-56, http://www.hec.fr/var/fre/storage/original/application/5ecca063454eb4ef8227d08506a8673b.pdf, accessed September 12 2011.
-  Featherstone M. (1991): Consumer Culture and Postmodernism. London: SageGoogle Scholar
-  Florida, R. (2002): The Rise of the Creative Class. Basic Books: New York, NY.Google Scholar
-  Gupta, S./Vajic, M.,(2000): The contextual and dialectical nature of experiences, in: Fitzsimmons and Fitzsimmons (Eds.), New Service Development, Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA.Google Scholar
-  Haeckel, S.H./Carbone, L.P./Berry, L.L. (2003): How to lead the customer experience, in: Marketing Management, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 18-23.Google Scholar
-  Hall, C.M./Sharples, L./Cambourne, B./Macionis, N. (2000): Wine Tourism around the World. Butterworth-Heinemann: Oxford.Google Scholar
-  Hall, J./Winchester, M. (2000): Focus on Your Consumer through Segmentation, in: Australia and New Zealand Wine Industry Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 93-96.Google Scholar
-  Havitz, M. E./Dimanche, F. (1999): Leisure involvement revisited: Drive properties and paradoxes, in: Journal of Leisure Research, Vol. 31, pp. 122-149.Google Scholar
-  Hirschman, E.C. (2000): Consumers use of intertextuality and archetypes, in: Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 27, eds. Hoch, S.J. and Meyer, R.J., Provo, UT Association for Consumer Research, pp. 57-63.Google Scholar
-  Holbrook, M.B./Hirschman, E.C. (1982): The experiential aspects of consumption: Consumer fantasies, feelings, and fun, in: Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 2 (September), pp. 132-140.Google Scholar
-  Kotler, P. (2003): Marketing Management. 11th ed. Prentice Hall: NJ.Google Scholar
-  Lebergott, S. (1993): Pursuing Happiness: American Consumers in the Twentieth Century. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
-  Lee, J. (2011): Chateau Lafite Sales Tops $500,000. WSJ, September 6, http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/09/06/chateau-lafite-sale-tops-500000/, accessed December 15 2011.
-  Lindstrom, M./Kotler, P. (2005): Brand sense build powerful brands through touch, taste, smell, sight and sound. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
-  McLuhan, R. (2008): Plan now, enjoy later (experiential marketing). Marketing, February 20, pp. 33-4.Google Scholar
-  Ogilvy J. (1990): This post-modern business, in: Marketing and Research Today, February, pp. 4-20.Google Scholar
-  Parker, R. (2011): The Wine Advocate Rating System. http://www.erobertparker.com/info/legend.asp, accessed October 11 2011.
-  Pine, B.J./Gilmore, G.H. (1998): Welcome to the experience economy, in: Harvard Business Review, July/August, pp. 68-74.Google Scholar
-  Postrel, V. (2003): The Substance of Style. Harper Collins: New York, NY.Google Scholar
-  Quelch, J. (2008): The Next Marketing Challenge: Selling to ‘Simplifiers’, in: Harvard Business School Working Knowledge, October 29, http://hbswk.hbs.edu/pdf/item/6067.pdf, accessed December 11 2011.
-  Robinson, J. (1999): The Oxford Companion to Wine. Oxford University Press: Oxford.Google Scholar
-  Robinson, J. (2011): China hosts its sales, Nov 18, http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/2901581c-100f-11e1-8211-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1gJRBaI00, accessed December 12 2011.
-  Salsberg (2009): Japan’s luxury shoppers move on. McKinsey Quarterly, August, pp. 1-8.Google Scholar
-  Schmitt, B.H./Simonson, A. (1997): Marketing Aesthetics: The Strategic Management of Brands, Identity and Image. The Free Press: New York, NY.Google Scholar
-  Schmitt, B. H. (1998): The power of a luxury experience. Luxury Briefing, October, http://www.exgroup.com/thought_leadership/articles/the_power_of_a_luxury_experience.pdf, accessed December 16 2011.
-  Sit, J./Merrilees, B./Birch, D. (2003): Entertainment-seeking shopping center patrons: the missing segment, in: International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 80-94.Google Scholar
-  The Independent (2011): Booming China is number one Bordeaux importer, 23 September, http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/booming-china-is-number-onebordeaux-importer-2359609.html, accessed December 18 2011.
-  Tsaur, S./Chiu, Y./Wang, C. (2006): The visitors behavioral consequences of experiential marketing: An empirical study on Taipei Zoo, in: Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 25-32.Google Scholar
-  Underwood, R.L./Klein, N.M./Burke, R.R. (2001): Packaging communication: attentional effects of product imagery, in: Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol. 10, No. 7, pp. 403-22.Google Scholar
-  Williams, A.J. (2000): Consuming hospitality: learning from postmodernism, in Lashley, C., Morrison, A. (Eds), In Search of Hospitality, Butterworth-Heinemann: Oxford.Google Scholar