Luxury Brands in the Digital Age – the Trust Factor
Luxury brand marketing has been suggested as one of the fastest growing industries  with several research institutions routinely reporting on the market emphasising its considerable value. In a Verdict report, it is predicted that the global market for luxury branded goods will be worth £225bn by 2012 . Until recently luxury brands were the preserve of affluent people from privileged backgrounds but with rising incomes and availability of credit, luxury brands have become more affordable to a wider range of consumers than previously , .
KeywordsPurchase Intention Online Shopping Luxury Good Online Retailer Consumer Trust
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
-  Anon (2011): The Innovate Payments 3-D Secure Hosted MPI is Priced to Minimize Upfront Costs, available www.innovatepayments.com, accessed 10 Nov 2011.
-  Barraclough, E. (2007): Managing Intellectual Property, April, 168, pp. 42-43.Google Scholar
-  Bernstein Research (2010): Black Book – European General Retail & Luxury Goods: Online – Opportunity or Threat?, Bernstein Global Wealth Management.Google Scholar
-  Betts, K./Crumley, B./Graff, J./Gibson, H./Gough, N./Israely, J. (2004): The purse-party blues, in: Time, Vol. 164, No. 5, pp. 68-70.Google Scholar
-  Cardholm, L./Karlsson, S./Karvonen, K. (2000): Trusted E-Business, Userstudy 2000, Helsinki University of Technology.Google Scholar
-  Cavender, B./Rein, S. (2009): Luxury Goods: Still Strong Sellers, in: China Business Review, March-April, pp. 36-39.Google Scholar
-  Chen, C.H. (2008) Establishment of Trust – The Concepts and Practical Implementations in B2C Ecommerce, Ph.D Thesis, Royal Holloway, University of London UK.Google Scholar
-  Clark, N. (2010): The new luxury market, in: Marketing, 24 Feb, pp. 32-33.Google Scholar
-  Clark, N. (2011) Luxury: Because you’re still worth it, Marketing, http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/bullentin/dailynews/article105, accessed 13 June 2011.
-  Egger, F.N. (2001): Affective Design of E-Commerce User Interfaces: How to Maximise Perceived Trustworthiness, in: Helander, M./Khalid, H.M.Tham (eds.), Proceedings of CAHD2001: Conference on Affective Human Factors Design, Singapore, June 27-29, pp. 317-324.Google Scholar
-  Farber, A. (2009): Burberry joins push online by luxury brands, in: newmediage, 7 May, pp. 1-2.Google Scholar
-  Fogg, B.J./Marshall, J./Laraki, O./Osipovich, A./Varma, C./Fang, N./Paul, J./Rangnekar, A./Shon, J./Swani, P./Treinen, M. (2001): What Makes Web Sites Credible? A Report on a Large Quantitative Study, in: CHI2001 Proceedings, Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Seattle, 31 March.Google Scholar
-  Ganguly, B./Dash, S.B./Cyr, D. (2009): Website characteristics, trust and purchase intention in online stores: – an empirical study in the Indian context, in: Journal of Information Science and Technology, Vol. 6, 2, pp. 22-44.Google Scholar
-  Gefen, D./Karahanna, E./Straub, D.W. (2003): Trust and TAM in online shopping: an integrated model, in: MIS Quarterly, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 51-90.Google Scholar
-  Goldie, L. (2008): Cartier becomes first luxury brand to set up community on MySpace, in: newmediaage, 5 June, p. 3.Google Scholar
-  Jarvenpaa, S.L./Tractinsky, N./Vitale, M. (1999): Consumer trust in an Internet store, in: Information Technology and Management, Vol. 1, 12, pp. 45-71.Google Scholar
-  Karimzadeh, M./Corcoran, C.T. (2008): Luxe brands follow the money – to the Internet, in: Women’s Wear Daily, Vol. 195, No. 71, p. 12.Google Scholar
-  Keen, P. (2000): Designing Privacy for your e-business, in: PC Magazine, available www.ZDNet.com.au, accessed 10 Nov 2011.
-  Mandel, T. (1997): The Elements of Effective Web Design, John Wiley, Toronto.Google Scholar
-  McGraw, G./Viega, J. (2000): Software Security Principles, IBM developerWorks.Google Scholar
-  Neuborne, E. (2000): Online luxury has limits, in: Business Week, 18 Sept, p. 1.Google Scholar
-  Passariello, C./Mangalindan, M. (2008): Ebay fined over selling counterfeits, in: Wall Street Journal – Eastern Edition, Vol. 252, No. 1, pp. 2-5.Google Scholar
-  Phan, M. (2011): Do social media enhance consumer’s perception and purchase intentions of luxury fashion brands?, in: Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 81-84.Google Scholar
-  Schneier, B. (1995): Applied Cryptolography: Protocols, Algorithmsm and Source Code in C, John Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
-  Shearman, S. (2011): Kurt Geiger steps up its online retail experience, in: Marketing, 13 April, p. 9.Google Scholar
-  Sherman, L. (2009): Online luxury retail remains elusive, in: Business Week Online, 20 Nov., p. 9.Google Scholar
-  Socha, M. (2007): Shooting at the Net: luxury brands boost their online profiles, in: Women’s Wear Daily, Vol. 193, No. 39, pp. 1-18.Google Scholar
-  The Economist, (2008): Handbagged, Vol. 387, No. 8585, p. 76.Google Scholar
-  The Economist (2010): The World in 2010, 24th editionGoogle Scholar
-  Tsai, S. P. (2005): Impact of Personal Orientation on Luxury-Brand Purchase Value, in: International Journal of Market Research, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 429-454.Google Scholar
-  Unity Marketing (2004): “Luxury Report, 2004”, [online] Available at: http://www.unitymarketingonline.com, accessed: 27 Feb 2009.
-  Vigneron, F./Johnson, L. W. (1999): A review and a conceptual framework of prestige-seeking consumer behaviour, in: Academy of Marketing Science Review, Vol. 99, No. 1, pp.1-15.Google Scholar
-  Walmsley, A. (2008): Web should be in the lap of luxury, in: Marketing, 20 Aug, p. 16.Google Scholar
-  Warren, M. (2010): By invitation only, in: Profit, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 11-12.Google Scholar