Visa Applications in TG Biometrics for Public Sector Applications
The application, issuance and usage of modern electronic identity documents that are connected to biometric data is only possible after a complex process of requirements and regulations has been carried out together with the establishment of a respective infrastructure. Although different governmental eID documents are connected to various requirements, the structure and approach of the modus operandi is quite similar. Therefore, synergistic effects can be used to represent the processes connected to these documents.
In Germany, the Federal Office for Information Security has published a Technical Guideline “Biometrics for Public Sector Applications” that encloses requirements, recommendations, and best practices to design processes for the handling of the afore described documents within the context of biometrics. Not only electronic documents but also different applications have to be considered. As a result, a number of Application Profiles have been provided covering these circumstances. The description is based on experiences that were gained in several projects: e.g. the introduction of electronic passports in 2005, the preparation of new electronic national identity cards in Germany, and the experiences gained in the European BioDEV II pilot project for Visa which has been carried out to prepare the central European Visa Information System.
KeywordsFunction Module Facial Image Pilot Project Software Architecture Identity Document
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Federal Office for Information Security: Technical Guideline TR-03121 Biometrics for Public Sector Applications. Part 1: Framework, Part 2: Software Architecture and Application Profiles, Part 3: Function Modules. Version 2.0, 2010.Google Scholar
- Federal Office for Information Security: Technical Guideline TR-03122 Conformance Test Specification for Technical Guideline TR-03121 Biometrics for Public Sector Applications. Part 1: Framework, Part 2: Software Architecture – BioAPI Conformance Testing, Part 3: Test Cases for Function Modules. Version 1.0, 2010.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC 19784-1:2006 “Information technology – Biometric application programming interface – Part 1: BioAPI specification”.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC CD 19784-4: “Information technology – Biometric application programming interface – Part 4: Biometric sensor function provider interface”.Google Scholar
- Regulation (EC) No 767/2008 of the European Parliament and of the council of 9 July 2008 concerning the Visa Information System (VIS) and the exchange of data between Member States on short-stay visas (VIS Regulation).Google Scholar