The Mask of the Honorable Citizen
This article explores a very old concept of anonymity in private and business life: The Venetian Bauta mask and disguise which was mainly used during the 18th century. The mask was standardized and its use was regulated by government to give Venetian citizens the freedom to do business, to pursue interests on their own and to take part in political activities without being identified while still being recognized and respected as legitimate and honorable members of the Venetian society. I’d like to find out if this concept could be a paradigm for internet identity management and anonymity concepts. This piece of writing presents work in progress. Research will go on and can be followed on www.licenceto-mask.com.
KeywordsVirtual World Psychological Contract Anonymous User Black Cape World ofWarcraft
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belloni, Mario; “Maschere a Venezia, History and Technique”, VeniceGoogle Scholar
- Di Fabio, Udo, “Ohne freie Presse gibt es keine Demokratie”, speech held in Solingen at the 200 year anniversary of the Solinger Tageblatt (http://www.solinger-tageblatt.de/Home/Solingen/Ohne-freie-Presse-gibt-es-keine-Demokratie-d1a2b4a0-ed9d-46ed-a2dd-b80186f14187-ds)
- Kabay, M. E.; „Anonymity and Pseudonymity in Cyberspace: Deindividuation, Incivility and Lawlessness Versus Freedom and Privacy“, Munich 1998 (Paper presented at the Annual Conference of the European Institute for Computer Anti-virus Research EICAR (http://www.mekabay.com/overviews/anonpseudo.pdf)
- Karbe, Lars Cassio; “Venedig oder Die Macht der Phantasie”, München 1995Google Scholar
- Pavlíček, Antonin; “Anonymity in the internet and its influence on the communication process”, Prague 2005 (Diss. Charles University, http://sorry.vse.cz/~pavlant/sources/Dissertation-Pavlicek-Anonymity.pdf)
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers; „Wirtschaftskriminalität 2007. Sicherheitslage der deutschen Wirtschaft“ (http://www.pwc.de/fileserver/RepositoryItem/studie_wikri_2007.pdf?itemId=3169192)
- Solove, Daniel J.; “A Taxonomy of Privacy”, 154 U. Pennsylvania Law Review 477 2006Google Scholar
- Solove, Daniel J.; “’I’ve Got Nothing to Hide’ and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy”, 44 San Diego Law Review 745 2007 (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=998565I)
- Toscani, Ignazio; “Die venezianische Gesellschaftsmaske”, Saarbrücken 1970 (Diss. Universität des Saarlands)Google Scholar