Thessaloniki’s City Guide: a Tourist Site for Handheld Devices
Mobile browsing is expected to become very popular during the next decade. Users will connect to the Internet and use a mobile browser as an every day tool, usually as a part of their mobile telephone. Many services that would be relevant for mobile use are location or time dependent such as: tourist information; maps; and train timetables. This paper describes step by step the production of the mobile tourist site of the city of Thessaloniki Greece. In the paper both the marketing strategies and the mobile site development techniques are included.
KeywordsGraphical Content Guide Shade Train Timetable World Tourism Organization Mobile Site
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beech, J. & Chadwick S. (Eds.). (2006). The business of tourist management. Essex: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Buhalis, D. (2003). E-tourism. Information technology for strategic tourist management. Essex: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Cotton, J. & Commarford, P. (2005). Designing web content for mobile browsers. Retrieved June 2007 from: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wi-web/index.html. IBM.Google Scholar
- Greek national statistic company (2006). Arrivals of tourists from abroad, year 2005. Retrieved June 2007 from: http://www.statistics.gr/gr_tables/S604_STO_4_DT_AN_05_Y.pdf.Google Scholar
- Holloway, J.C. (2004). Marketing for tourism. Essex: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Nokia (n.d.). Nokia web browser designer guide. Retrieved June 2007 from: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/resources/technologies/browsing/articles/introduction_to_the_nokia_web_browser.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Ronan Cremin, Jo Rabin, Brian Fling & D. Keith Robinson (2007). DotMobi: mobile web developer guide. Retrieved June 15, 2007, from http://pc.dev.mobi/files/dotMobi%20Mobile%20Web%20Developers%20Guide.pdf.Google Scholar
- Southeastern Louisiana University (n.d.). Why Use a Content Management System for The New Southeastern Web? Retrieved June 2007 from: http://www.selu.edu/webredesign/cms/index.html.Google Scholar
- Stornier, H. (2006). Exploring Solutions for a MobileWeb. Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on E-Commerce Technology and the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Enterprise Computing, E-Commerce, and E-Services (CEC/EEE’06), p. 75–75 IEEE. Retrieved June 2007Google Scholar
- Sweeney, S. (2000). Internet marketing for your tourism business. Proven techniques for promoting tourist-based businesses over the Internet. CA: Maximum Press.Google Scholar
- World tourism organization (n.d.). Tourism — an Economic and Social Phenomenon. Retrieved June 15, 2007, from http://www.unwto.org/aboutwto/why/en/why.php?op=1.Google Scholar
- W3C (n.d). Mobile web best practices 1.0. Retrieved June 2007 from: http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/Google Scholar