Primary cardiac tumors are very rare clinical entities, with benign neoplasms occurring three to four times more often (70–90%) than malignant tumors (10–30%). Only series of myxomas in adults have been reported, while very few series involving different types of primary cardiac tumors in children have been reported. In this chapter only types of pediatric cardiac tumors occurring in the pediatric age will be considered. Metastatic cardiac neoplasms are not included. The ability to detect cardiac tumors with noninvasive diagnostic procedures even during the prenatal period has led to an apparent increase in this diagnosis, with incidences reported from 0.06% cases to 0.32%, while the reported autopsy series was limited to 0.027–0.08%.
KeywordsTuberous Sclerosis Cardiac Tumor Cardiac Myxoma Atrial Myxoma Cardiac Rhabdomyoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Corno AF, Marianeschi S, Giannico S, Parisi F, Marino B (1989) Cardiac rhabdomyoma in infancy. CI Res 37:92AGoogle Scholar
- Costas C, Williams RL, Fortune RL (1986) Intracardiac teratoma in an infant. 7:179–181Google Scholar
- Fyler DC, Buckley LP, Hellenbrand WE, Cohn HE (1980) Report of the New England Regional Infant Care Program. Pediatrics 65(Suppl):375–461Google Scholar
- Jiang ZY, Pircova A, Sekarski N, Hack I, Laurini R, Janzer R, Payot M (2000) Transposition of the great arteries, pulmonary atresia, and multiple ventricular septal defects associated with multiple cardiac rhabdomyomas in a case of tuberous sclerosis. Pediatr Cardiol 21:165–169PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ludomirsky A (1998) Cardiac tumors. In: Bricker JT, Fisher DJ (Eds) The science and practice of pediatric cardiology, 9th ed. Williams & Wilkins; pp 1885–1893Google Scholar
- Marx GR, Moran AM (2000) Cardiac tumors. In: Moss and Adams “ Heart disease in infants, children and adolescents”, 6th ed. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, pp 1432–1445Google Scholar
- Schaher RM, Farina M, Alley R, Hansen P, Bishop M (1972) Congenital subaortic stenosis in infancy caused by rhabdomyoma of the left ventricle. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 63:157–163Google Scholar
- Stellingwerff GC, Hess J, Bogers AJ (1999) Left ventricular rhabdomyoma. J Cardiovasc Surg 40:131–133Google Scholar
- Vander Salm TJ (2000) Unusual primary tumours of the heart. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 12:89–100Google Scholar