Aneurysms of sinus of Valsalva are very rare congenital malformations, with an incidence between 0.1 and 3.5% of all congenital heart defects. The incidence is more elevated among the Asian population, with an incidence up to five times higher than in Western population, with a 2:1 to 4:1 male to female ratio, because of the higher incidence of infundibular septal defects; in fact this type of defect may contribute to the instability of the aortic sinuses, particularly of the right sinus.
KeywordsAortic Valve Ventricular Septal Defect Unruptured Aneurysm Aortic Sinus Aortic Valve Regurgitation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abad C (1995) Congenital aneurysm of the sinus of Valsalva dissecting into the interventricular septum 3:563–564Google Scholar
- Abbott ME (1919) Clinical and developmental study of a case of ruptured aneurysm of the right anterior aortic sinus of Valsalva. In: Hoeber PB (ed) Contributions to medical and biological research, Vol. 2. New York, p 899Google Scholar
- Brandt J, Jogi P, Luhrs C (1985) Sinus of Valsalva aneurysm obstructing coronary arterial flow: case report and collective review of the literature. Eur Heart J 12:1069Google Scholar
- DeBakey ME, Diethrich EB, Liddocoat JE, Kinard SA, Garrett HE (1967) Abnormalities of the sinuses of Valsalva: experience with 35 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 54:312Google Scholar
- Heilman KJ, Groves BM, Campbell D, Blount SG (1985) Rupture of left sinus of Valsalva aneurysm into the pulmonary artery. J Am Coll Cardiol 5:1105Google Scholar
- Lillehei CW, Stanley P, Varco RL (1957) Surgical treatment of ruptured aneurysm of the sinus of Valsalva. Ann Surg 146:460Google Scholar
- Shanmugan G, Jeffrey R (2004) Ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 12:90Google Scholar
- Shu-Hsun C, Chi-Ren H, Sou-Sien H, Hang C, Shoei-Shen W, Chang-Her T, Chiau-Soung L, Chuen-Den T, Yen-Zu T, Yuan-Teh L, Wen-Pin L, Hung-Chi L, Tien-Yu L (1990) Ruptured aneurysm of the sinus of Valsalva in Oriental patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 99:288–298Google Scholar
- Thurman J (1840) On aneurysms and especially spontaneous varicose aneurysms of the ascending aorta and sinuses of Valsalva, with cases. Med Chir Tr Lond 23:323Google Scholar
- Van Son JA, Danielson GK, Schaff HV, Orszulak TA, Edwards WD, Seward JB (1994) Long-term outcorne of surgical repair of ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. Circulation 90:11–20Google Scholar
- Zikri MA, Stewart RW, Cosgrove DM (1999) Surgical correction for sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. J Cardiovasc Surg 40:787–791Google Scholar