Implantation techniques of freehand subcoronary aortic valve and root replacement with a cryopreserved allograft for aortic root abscess
Prior to 1972, the surgical results of aortic root abscesses treated with prosthetic valves varied and, being associated with a high rate of early recurrent infection and mortality, were not very satisfactory. Consequently, in 1972 Donald Ross introduced the use of the aortic allograft, which is a completely biological tissue for replacing the infected aortic valve (see Figs. 2–7) [1, 2, 3, 4]. This operation technique was initially used for reconstruction of a tunnel-type left ventricular outflow tract due to congenital obstruction and was then adopted for treating aortic root abscesses. The original procedure was described by Hugh Bentall and Antony de Bono in 1968 .
KeywordsAortic Valve Aortic Root Aortic Valve Replacement Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Aortic Annulus
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Donaldson RM, Ross DN (1984) Homograft aortic root replacement for complicated prosthetic valve endocarditis. Circulation 70(Suppl I):I-178–I-81Google Scholar
- 6.Ross D (1964) Homotransplantation of the aortic valve in the subcoronary position. J Thoracic Cardiovasc Surg 47:713–719Google Scholar
- 10.Petrou M, Wong K, Albertucci M, Brecker SJ, Yacoub MH (1994) Evaluation of unstented aortic homografts for the treatment of prosthetic aortic valve endocarditis. Circulation 90(Part 2):II-198–II-204Google Scholar
- 19.Yankah CA, Hetzer R (1987) Valve selection and choice in surgery of endocarditis. J Cardiac Surg 2(Suppl):209–220Google Scholar
- 22.Yankah CA, Wottge H-U, Mueller-Hermelink HK, Feller AC et al (1987) Transplantation of aortic and pulmonary allografts, enhanced viability of endothelial cells by cryopreservation, importance of histocompatibility. J Cardiac Surg 2(Suppl): 209–220Google Scholar
- 27.Lund O, Chandrasekaran V, Grocott-Mason R, Elwidaa H, Mazhar R, Khaghani A, Mitchell A, Ilslev C, Yacoub MH (1999) Primary aortic valve replacement with allografts over twenty-five years: valve-related and procedure-related determinants of outcome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 117:77–91CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Albert A, Florath I, Rosendahl U, Hassanein W, Hodenberg EV, Bauer S, Ennker I, Ennker J (2007) Effect of surgeon on transprosthetic gradients after aortic valve replacement with Freestyle stentless bioprosthesis and its consequences: a follow-up study in 587 patients. J Cardiothorac Surg 2:40CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Musci M, Siniawski H, Pasic M, Weng Y, Loforte A, Kosky S, Yankah C, Hetzer R (2008) Surgical therapy in patients with active infective endocarditis: seven-year single centre experience in a subgroup of 255 patients with the Shelhigh stentless bioprosthesis Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 34:410–417CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2010