Autologous pericardial patch leaflet augmentation in the setting of mitral valve repair
Mitral valve repair is the standard of care for correction of significant mitral regurgitation for a wide range of etiologies as it confers a significant survival advantage in selected patients, has demonstrated equivalent or superior durability compared to bioprosthetic replacement particularly in young patients, reduces the thromboembolic complications of mechanical replacement, and avoids the need for anticoagulation. Leaflet augmentation with glutaraldehydefixed autologous pericardium is a useful adjunct when there is insufficient leaflet tissue to produce a reliable repair using standard techniques, as it is a cheap and readily available substrate with excellent resistance to infection and calcific degeneration. Autologous pericardial patch augmentation has been described in the setting of rheumatic mitral insufficiency, ischemic mitral regurgitation, endocarditis, congenital mitral valve disease, and re-repair. Here, we provide a brief overview of the historical background, a technical description of our approach to mitral valve repair requiring pericardial patch leaflet augmentation, followed by a summary of the operative technique and results reported according to etiology.
KeywordsMitral Valve Mitral Regurgitation Mitral Valve Repair Anterior Leaflet Posterior Leaflet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bonow RO, Carabello BA, Kanu C, et al. (2006) ACC/AHA 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (writing committee to revise the 1998 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease): developed in collaboration with the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists: endorsed by the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. Circulation 114:e84–e231PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Romano MA, Patel HJ, Pagani FD, Prager RL, Deeb GM, Bolling SF (2005) Anterior leaflet repair with patch augmentation for mitral regurgitation. Ann Thorac Surg 79:1500–1504; discussion 1504Google Scholar
- 3.Kincaid EH, Riley RD, Hines MH, Hammon JW, Kon ND (2004) Anterior leaflet augmentation for ischemic mitral regurgitation. Ann Thorac Surg 78:564–568; discussion 568Google Scholar
- 11.Chauvaud S, Jebara V, Chachques JC, et al. (1991) Valve extension with glutaraldehyde-preserved autologous pericardium. Results in mitral valve repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 102:171–177; discussion 177–178Google Scholar
- 16.Gillinov AM, Cosgrove DM, Lytle BW, et al. (1997) Reoperation for failure of mitral valve repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 113:467–473; discussion 473–475Google Scholar
- 17.Oppido G, Davies B, McMullan DM, et al. (2008) Surgical treatment of congenital mitral valve disease: midterm results of a repair-oriented policy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:1313–1320; discussion 1320–1321Google Scholar
- 18.Carpentier A, Adams DH, Filsoufi F (2010) Carpentier’s Valve Reconstruction. ElsevierGoogle Scholar