Artificial chordal replacement for complex mitral valve repair
The development of mitral valve repair is one of the all-time success stories in medicine. In the 1960s and 1970s, mitral valve replacement was the highest risk adult cardiac procedure in most centers, with operative mortalities approaching 20–30% in many categories. Based on innovation from many sources, reparative methods were refined and developed, and Carpentier’s lecture before the American Association for Thoracic Surgery in 1983 brought together the techniques of ring annuloplasty, leaflet reconstruction, and chordal shortening/ transfer into a unified approach. Carpentier’s contributions stimulated great interest in repair, and progress continued on many fronts.
KeywordsMitral Valve Papillary Muscle Mitral Valve Repair Mitral Valve Surgery Severe Mitral Regurgitation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kouchoukos NT (1973) Problems in mitral valve replacement. In: Kirklin TW (ed) Advances in cardiovascular surgery. Grune & Stratton, New York, pp. 205–216Google Scholar
- 2.Rankin JS (1986) Mitral and tricuspid valve disease: historical aspects. In: Sabiston DC, Jr. (ed) Textbook of surgery. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, p 2345Google Scholar
- 4.Vetter HO, Burack JH, Factor SM, et al. (1986) Replacement of chordae tendineae of the mitral valve using the new expanded PTFE suture in sheep. In: Bodnar E, Yacoub M (eds) Biologic bioprosthetic valves. Yorke Medical Books, New York, pp 772–784Google Scholar
- 5.Frater RWM, Vetter HO, Zussa C, et al. (1990) Chordal replacement in mitral valve repair. Circulation 82 (suppl IV):125–130Google Scholar
- 12.Brunsting LA, Orozco RE, Rankin JS, Binford RS (2009) Robotic artificial chordal replacement for repair of mitral valve prolapse. Innovations 4:229–232Google Scholar
- 14.Gaca JG, Sheng S, Rankin JS, et al. (2010) Outcomes for endocarditis surgery in North America: a simplified risk scoring system and need for clinical innovationJ Thorac Cardiovasc Surg (in press)Google Scholar
- 19.Rankin JS, Orozco RE, McRae AT (2009) Mitral valve repair for rheumatic disease. Surgical video presented at the Southern Thoracic Surgical Association meeting, November, 2009, to be published at CTSNet.org. Video downloadable from: http://www.ctsnet.org/sections/clinicalresources/videos/vg2010_RankinS_MVR_Rheumatic.html
- 21.Rankin JS (2010) Mitral valve repair for HOCM with severe mitral anomalies. Presented at the STS meeting and published at http://www.theheart.org/article/1138915.do
- 32.Daneshmand MA, Gaca JC, Rankin JS, Milano CA, Glower DD, Wolfe WG, Smith PK. Effects of valve repair on long-term patient outcomes after mitral valve surgery. In: Hetzer, Rankin,Yankah (eds) Mitral Valve Repair. Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp 195–209Google Scholar