The history of non-locking implants in fracture treatment began in 1944. It was the year when the mother of the engineer Ernst Pohl (1876–1962) died after having suffered a proximal femur fracture which was treated conservatively over several weeks by traction and immobilization. From this moment the instrument maker Pohl worked to construct an implant which could allow stable fracture fixation, early mobilization and the best conditions for fracture healing in a rapid time frame. He is given credit for having developed the first non-locking connection between an intramedullary force carrier (lag screw) and a lateral anchoring plate (barrel plate) (Fig. 1).
KeywordsFracture Treatment Proximal Femur Fracture Worm Gear Distal Femur Fracture Instrument Maker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.