Nine-Year Experience with a Contemporary Alumina-on-alumina THA Implant
There are three options to solve the problems associated with the conventional polyethylene, the wear and subsequent osteolysis. These included ceramic-on-ceramic bearing, metal-on-metal bearing and cross-linked polyethylene. We chose ceramic-on-ceramic bearing based on our experience with the old generation alumina-on-alumina articulation.
KeywordsMetal Transfer Bearing Surface Ceramic Head Periprosthetic Osteolysis Ceramic Bearing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chang CB, Yoo JJ, Song WS, Kim DJ, Koo K-H, Kim HJ (in press) Transfer of metallic debris from the metal surface of an acetabular cup to artificial femoral heads by scraping: comparison between alumina and cobalt-chrome heads (in press) J Biomed Mater Res B.Google Scholar
- 3.Hozak WJ, Restrepo C, Parvizi J, Purtill JJ, Sharkey PF, Rothman RH (2007) Noisy ceramic hip: is component malpositioning the problem? AAOS Annual Meeting Procedings 8:374–375.Google Scholar
- 4.Jarrett CA, Ranawat AS, Bruzzone M, Rodriguez JA, Ranawat CS (2007) The squeaking hip: an under-reported phenomenon of ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasty. AAOS Annual Meeting Procedings 8:375.Google Scholar
- 6.Maloney WJ, Jasty M, Harris WH, Galante JO, Callaghan JJ (1990) Endosteal erosion in association with stable uncemented femoral components. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 72:1025–1034.Google Scholar
- 8.Nam KW, Yoo JJ, Kim YL, Kim Y-M, Lee MH, Kim HJ (in press) Alumina-debris induced osteolysis after metal transfer in contemporary alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty: a case report. J Bone Joint Surg [Am]Google Scholar
- 9.O’Toole GC, Walter WL, Zicat BA, Walter WK (2006) Squeaking in ceramic-on-ceramic hips: incidence, causes and solutions. AAOS Annual Meeting Procedings 7:483.Google Scholar
- 12.Toni A, Traina F, Stea S, Sudanese A, Visentin M, Bordini B (2006) Early diagnosis of ceramic liner fracture: guidelines based on a 12-year clinical experience with 3710 modern ceramic prostheses. AAOS Annual Meeting Procedings 7:534.Google Scholar
- 13.Walter WL, Kurtz SM, Hozack WJ, Garino JP, Tuke MA, Parvizi J, Kirsh G, Ellis AM (2007) Retrieval analysis of squeaking alumina ceramic-on-ceramic bearings. AAOS Annual Meeting Procedings 8:374.Google Scholar
- 14.Yoo JJ, Kim HJ, Kim Y-M (2004) Damage of an alumina-on-alumina bearing surface from a difficult reduction of a total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 86:376–378.Google Scholar
- 15.Yoo JJ, Kim Y-M, Yoon KS, Koo K-H, Kim JW, Nam KW, Kim HJ (2006) Contemporary alumina-on-alumina total hip arthroplasty performed in patients younger than forty years: a 5-year minimum follow-up study. J Biomed Mater Res B 78:70–75.Google Scholar