Comparison of Polyethylene Wear against Alumina and Zirconia Heads in Cemented Total Hip Arthroplasty
We compared the polyethylene wear of 22.225-mm alumina heads with zirconia heads in cemented total hip arthroplasty during a mean follow-up period of 5.4 years. Using a computer-aided technique, we measured polyethylene wear radiologically in 46 hips with alumina heads and 58 hips with zirconia heads. The preoperative diagnosis in all cases was osteoarthritis. The mean linear wear rate of polyethylene sockets against zirconia heads were 0.133 mm/y, significantly greater (P < .01) than the wear rates against alumina heads (0.078 mm/y). Age at operation, patient body weight as well as height, thickness of polyethylene, and socket abduction angle did not influence the wear rates. We speculate that the excessive polyethylene wear was caused by phase transformation of zirconia, leading to an increase of surface roughness.
KeywordsWear Rate Polyethylene Wear Linear Wear Linear Wear Rate Patient Body Weight
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Hashimoto Y, Bauer TW, Jiang M, Stulberg BN (1995) Polyethylene wear in total hip arthroplasty: volumetric wear measurement of retrieved acetabular components, Trans Orthop Res Soc 20:116.Google Scholar
- 6.Imura S. (1995) Evaluation chart of hip joint functions, Nippon Seikeigeka-gakkai Zasshi (J Jpn Orthop Assoc) 69: 864.Google Scholar
- 10.Lu Z, McKellop H (1997) Frictional heating of bearing materials tested in a hip joint wear simulator. Proc Inst Mech Eng (H) 211:101.Google Scholar
- 12.Nakamura T, Tanaka K, Tamura J, Kawanabe K, Takigawa Y, Sugano N, Saegusa Y, Takarori Y, Kondo S, Ninomiya S, Mashima N, Matsushita T(2003) Clinical and laboratory wear studies of zirconia-on-UHMWPE combination in cementless THA. Key Eng Mater 240–242:832.Google Scholar
- 13.Oka M, Kumar P, Ikeuchi K, Yamamuro T, Nakamura T (1992) Low wear rate of UHMWPE against zirconia ceramic (Y-PSZ) Bioceramics 5:373.Google Scholar