Single ventricle (or univentricular heart) is considered a congenital cardiac malformation in which both atria connect to only one ventricular chamber by either two separate atrioventricular valves (double inlet) or a common atrioventricular valve (common inlet). The ventricle to which both atrioventricular valves or a common atrioventricular valve connects is generally well formed, whereas the ventricle not receiving the largest amount of the venous return to the heart is often a rudimentary chamber.
KeywordsVentricular Septal Defect Single Ventricle Atrioventricular Valve Fontan Procedure Pulmonary Artery Banding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Babu-Narayan SV, Gatzoulis MA, Kilner PJ (2007) Noninvasive imaging in adult congenital heart disease using cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Cardiovasc Med 8:23–29Google Scholar
- Corno AF (1996) Considerations on the cavopulmonary connection. Am Coll Cardiol Curr J Rev 5:38Google Scholar
- Fogel MA, Durning S, Wernovsky G, Pollock AN, Gaynor JW, Nicolson S (2004) Brain versus lung: hierarchy of feedback loops in single-ventricle patients with superior cavopulmonary connection. Circulation 110(Suppl II):47–52Google Scholar
- Goo HW, Yang DH, Park IS, Ko JK, Kim YH, Seo DM, Yun TJ, Park JJ (2007) Time-resolved three-dimensional contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance angiography in patients who have undergone a Fontan operation or bidirectional cavopulmonary connection: initial experience. J Magn Reson Imaging 25: 727–736PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Klimes K, Abdul-Khaliq H, Ovroutski S, Hui W, Alexi-Meskishvili V, Spors B, Hetzer R, Felix R, Lange PE, Berger F, Gutberlet M (2007) Pulmonary and caval blood flow patterns in patients with intracardiac and extracardiac Fontan: a magnetic resonance study. Clin Res Cardiol 96:160–167PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pedersen EM, Stenbog EV, Frund T, Houlind K, Kromann O, Sorensen KE, Emmertsen K, Hjortdal VE (2002) Flow during exercise in the total cavopulmonary connection measured by magnetic resonance velocity mapping. Heart 87:554–558Google Scholar
- Robbers-Visser D, ten Harkel D, Strengers JLM (2007) Cardiac MRI combined with low-dose dobutamine stress reveals an abnormal stress response in children and young adults after Fontan operation at young age. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 9:107Google Scholar