ICT for Small to Medium Enterprises: Focus on Usability for a Web-Based Spreadsheet Mediated Collaboration Environment
Access to ICT is a necessary prerequisite for SME to get business opportunities by connecting to networks both as part of the global market and as support to distributed internal business activities.
Unfortunately, the process of migrating from traditional activities towards IT-supported activities is in fact slowed down by several practical issues which small organizations have to face in order for the process to be effective. In this paper we present the case study of a spreadsheet mediated collaboration system designed to enhance existing business activities, in the context of SMEs. We describe the field study carried out with real stakeholders, to evaluate usability of the proposed prototype, and analyze the experimental results.
KeywordsBusiness Process Medium Enterprise Spreadsheet Application Information Technological Support Internal Business Activity
- 1.BadBlue Excel Web Spreadsheet Collaboration Server http://badblue.com. Accessed 29 June 2011.
- 2.Dabble DB Bridges Database, Spreadsheet Divide. http://www.eweek.com/c/a/ Database/Dabble-DB-Bridges-Database-Spreadsheet-Divide. Accessed 29 June 2011.
- 3.EditGrid. ThinkFree. http://www.editgrid.com/explore/. user/mcpaige/EditGrid_v._ThinkFree. Accessed 29 June 2011.
- 4.First impressions of Google Spreadsheets. http://www.badlanguage.net/first-impressions-of-google-spreadsheet. Accessed 29 June 2011.
- 5.Ginige A., Paolino L., Sebillo M., Shirodkar R. and Vitiello G. 2010. User Requirements for a Web Based Spreadsheet-Mediated Collaboration. In AVI 2010 International Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces. ACM Press, pp. 133–136Google Scholar
- 6.Ginige A., Paolino, L., Romano, M., Sebillo, M., Tortora, G. and Vitiello, G. 2010. A Collaborative Environment for Spreadsheet-Based Activities. In Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing VL/HCC. Leganés-Madrid, Spain, IEEE Computer Society, pp. 273–274Google Scholar
- 7.Grossman, T.A, Mehrotra, V., Özlük, Ö. (2007) Lessons From Mission-Critical Spreadsheets. Comm. of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 20, pp. 1009–1042.Google Scholar
- 8.Hol, A., Ginige, A. Dimensions of eTransformation (2008) In Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Information and Automation for Sustainability (ICIAFS 2008), pp.55–60.2008.Google Scholar
- 9.Kotelnikov, V. (2007) Small and Medium Enterprises and ICT. Asia-Pacific Development Information Programme. Series: e-Primers for the Information Economy, Society and Polity. ISBN: 978-974-8283-93-7Google Scholar
- 11.Nardi, B. A. and Miller, J. R. (1990) An ethnographic study of distributed problem solving in spreadsheet development. Procs of the ACM CSCW’90. ACM, New York, NY, 197–208.Google Scholar
- 12.Numbler, AJAX Spreadsheets.http://ajax.phpmagazine.net/2006/02/ numbler_ajax_spreadsheets.html. Accessed 29 June 2011.