Towards an IT-based Planning Process Alignment: Integrated Route and Location Planning for Small Package Shippers
Competition in the logistics sector significantly increases driven by high cost pressure and new legal regulations. In particular, the new rules for CO2 emissions increase the pressure on logistics companies to improve their network efficiency. On the strategic level, the network efficiency of small package shippers (SPS) mainly depends on the locations of hubs and depots. Since customer demand as well as customer locations vary within the planning horizon of a strategic decision, which is about 10-15 years, a reasonable approximation of those values and a powerful planning tool are required.
KeywordsGreedy Randomize Adaptive Search Proce Variable Neighborhood Search Vehicle Route Problem Route Planning Tabu Search Heuristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Doppstadt, C., Schneider, M., Stenger, A., Sand, B., Vigo, D. and Schwind, M. "Graph sparsification for the vehicle routing problem with time windows," in Hu, B., Morasch, K., Pickl, S. and Siegle, M. (Eds.): Operations Research Proceedings 2010, Springer, 2011.Google Scholar
- Gendreau, M., Potvin, J.-Y., Bräysy, O., Hasle, G. and Løkketangen, A. "Metaheuristics for the vehicle routing problem and its extensions: A categorized bibliography," in: Bruce L. Golden (Ed.): The Vehicle Routing Problem: Latest Advances and New Challenges, Springer, 2008, pp. 143–169.Google Scholar
- Potvin, J.-Y. and Naud, M.-A. "Tabu search with ejection chains for the vehicle routing problem with private fleet and common carrier," to appear in: International Journal of the Operational Research Society 2010.Google Scholar
- Schneider, M., Doppstadt, C. Sand, B., Stenger, A. and Schwind, M. "A vehicle routing problem with time windows and driver familiarity," in: Seventh Triennial Symposium on Transportation Analysis, Tromsø, Norway, 2010a.Google Scholar
- Schneider, M., Doppstadt, C., Stenger, A. and Schwind, M. "Ant colony optimization for a stochastic vehicle routing problem with driver learning," in: Proceedings of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (IEEE CEC), Barcelona, Spain, 2010b.Google Scholar
- Schneider, M., Stenger, A. and Lagemann, H. "Vehicle routing problem with driver learning aspects – a solution approach based on fixed service territories." Technical report, Chair of Business Information Systems and Operations Research, Technical University Kaiserslautern, Germany, 2010c.Google Scholar
- Smilowitz, K., Nowak, M. and Jiang, T. "Workforce management in periodic delivery operations," Working Paper No. 09–004, 2009.Google Scholar
- Stenger, A., Schneider, M. and Schwind, M. "Decision support for location routing with relocation aspects," in: Proceedings of the Multikonferenz Wirtschaftsinformatik 2010, 2010a, pp. 1949–1959.Google Scholar
- Stenger, A., Vigo, D., Enz, S. and Schwind, M. "A variable neighborhood search algorithm for a vehicle routing problem arising in small package shipping." Technical report 02/2010, IT-based Logistics, Institute of Information Systems, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany, 2010b.Google Scholar
- Stenger, A., Schneider, M. and Schwind, M. "A combined simulated annealing and variable neighborhood search heuristic for a location routing problem with subcontracting option, " Technical report 01/2010, IT-based Logistics, Institute of Information Systems, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany, 2010c.Google Scholar