Forces Shaping the Outlook for World Grain Markets
After the fall of the Soviet Union, which had absorbed large parts of Ukrainian exportable surpluses in agriculture, and years of turbulences and restructuring when Ukraine had become net importer in a number of agricultural commodities, recent years saw the re-occurrence of significant Ukrainian exports of wheat, coarse grains and other products. Even though the large exports to international markets in the last two years were partly due to some specific factors, including favorable weather conditions resulting in large harvests, and the drop in exports to the Russian Federation and other countries within the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), the recent developments clearly show that Ukraine has the potential to play an important role on international agricultural markets.
KeywordsAgricultural Policy Export Price World Market Price Loan Rate Import Quota
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agra Europe (2003): EU grain quota details published. Agra Europe Weekly, 3.01.2003.Google Scholar
- Bank of Canada (2003): Historical Currency Converter. Downloaded at 07.01.2003 from the Bank of Canada website at http://www.bank-banque-canada.calen/exchangeconvert. htm.Google Scholar
- IGC (2002): Grain Market Report October 2002. London: International Grains Council.Google Scholar
- InfoLeg (2002): Resolucion 11/2002 and 35/2002. Downloadable from the Informacion Legislativa at http://infoleg.mecon.gov.ar/.Google Scholar
- von Lampe (1999): A Modelling Concept for the Long-Term Projection and Simulation of Agricultural World Market Developments-World Agricultural Trade Simulation Model WATSIM. Dissertation, Bonn, Aachen, Shaker.Google Scholar
- OECD (2001a): Market Effects of Crop Support Measures. Paris, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.Google Scholar
- OECD (2001b): China’s Agriculture in the International Trading System. Paris, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.Google Scholar
- OECD (2002b): Agricultural Policies in OECD Countries — Monitoring and Evaluation. Paris, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.Google Scholar
- USDA (2002): The Farm Security and Rural Investment Act. Washington, DC, House of Representatives, Senate, Downloadable from the USDA’s website at http://www.ers.usda.gov/Featureslfarmbill/2002FarmAct.pdf.Google Scholar