The Doha Round: A New Agreement on Agriculture?
Ukraine, and other countries negotiating accession to the WTO, will ultimately have to conform to the requirements of the multilateral trading system. Trade in agricultural products, however, was only partially incorporated into the GATT system in the Uruguay Round. Since efforts are under way, now in conjunction with the wider Doha Round of negotiations, to bring agriculture closer to the norms of the international trading system, Ukraine faces a moving target. Consequently, this paper endeavours to provide some guidance on the likely directions for the agricultural trade regime.
KeywordsEuropean Union World Trade Organization Uruguay Round Export Subsidy Agricultural Trade
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gaisford, J. D., J. E. Hobbs, W. A. Kerr, N. Perdikis, and M. D. Plunkett (2001): The Economics of Biotechnology.Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.Google Scholar
- Gaisford, J. D and W. A. Kerr (2001): Economic Analysis for Trade Negotiations. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.Google Scholar
- Gaisford, J. D. and W. A Kerr (forthcoming): Deadlock in Geneva: The Battle Over Export Subsidies in Agriculture. International Economic Journal.Google Scholar
- Hobbs, A. L., J. E Hobbs, G. E. Isaac, and W. A. Kerr (forthcoming): Ethics, Domestic Food Policy and Trade Law: Assessing the EU Animal Welfare Proposal to the WTO, Food Policy.Google Scholar
- Hobbs, A. L. and W. A. Kerr (2000): First Salvoes: A Guide to the Opening Proposals at the WTO Negotiations on Agricultural Trade. Agribusiness Paesaggio and Ambiente, 4(2), pp. 97–108.Google Scholar
- Isaac, G. E., M. Phillipson, and W. A. Kerr (2002): International Regulation of Trade in the Products of Biotechnology. Estey Centre Research Papers No. 2, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, Saskatoon, pp 159.Google Scholar
- Leger, L. A, J. D. Gaisford, and W. A Kerr (1999): Labour Market Adjustments to International Trade Shocks. In: S. Bhagwan Dahiya (ed.): The Current State of Economic Science, No.4, Rohtak, Spellbound Publications, pp. 2011–2034.Google Scholar
- Rude, J. (2001): Multifunctionality: An Examination of the Issues and Remedies, In: Michelmann, H. J., J. Rude, J. Stabler, and G. Storey (eds.): Globalization and Agricultural Trade Policy, Lynne Rienner, Boulder, pp. 239–254.Google Scholar
- Russia, Ukraine to Push Against New Limits Set in EU Grains Deal, Inside US Trade, November 15, 2002.Google Scholar
- Skully, D. W. (2001): Economics of Tariff-Rate Quota Administration. Technical Bulletin No. 1893, Market and Trade Economics Division, Economic Research Service, USDA, Washington (http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/tbI893/).Google Scholar
- US-EU Deal will not Touch US Grains Exports, Caps Black Sea Wheat, Inside US Trade, November 8, 2002.Google Scholar
- Von Braun, J, P. Wobst, and U. Grote (2002): New Development Aspects of Agricultural World Trade. Bridges Between Trade and Sustainable Development, No.6 (5), pp. 7–8.Google Scholar
- WTO (2002a): WTO Members set Schedule to meet 12-Month Modalities Deadline. WTO News: 2002 Press Releases, Press/282, March 27. Available at http://www.wto.org/english/news_e/press02_e/pr282_e.htm.Google Scholar
- WTO (2002b): WTO Agriculture Negotiations Backgrounder: The Issues, and Where We are Now. Updated October 2002. Available at http://www.wto.orgienglish/tratop_e/agric_e /negs_bkgrnd00_contents_e.htm.Google Scholar