Logic-Based Technologies for e-Tourism: The iTravel System
iTravel is an e-tourism system conceived for helping both employees and customers of a travel agency in finding the best possible travel solution in a short time. The core of iTravel is an ontology which models the domain of the touristic offers. The key features of the system are (1) the automatic population of the ontology of the travel offers, obtained by extracting the information contained in the touristic leaflets which are sent by the tour operators to the travel agencies; (2) the intelligent touristic-package search, which mimics the typical deductions of a travel agent. Both features were designed and developed by using two logic-based technologies founded on DLV, a state-of-the-art Answer Set Programming system, namely OntoDLV and HιLεX. The system is developed under PIA project funded by the Calabrian Region, and is a successful result of technological transfer program aimed at a commercial and practical use of basic research on ontology and logic programming. In the paper we describe the key features of iTravel and report the results of some benchmarks on both the accuracy of the information extraction process and the efficiency of the reasoning process. Experiments are carried out on real-world data, and confirm the effectiveness of our solution. We also discuss practices and experiences of innovation transfer within the project.
KeywordsAutomatic Extraction Travel Agency Ontology Representation Attribute Grammar Reasoning Module
This work was partially supported by the Regione Calabria and EU under POR Calabria FESR 2007–2013 within the PIA project of TopClass s.r.l.
- 3.Maedche, A., Staab, S.: Applying semantic web technologies for tourism information systems. In: Proc. of ENTER 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Manna, M.: Semantic Information Extraction: Theory and Practice. PhD thesis, Dipartimento di Matematica, Università della Calabria, Rende, Cosenza Italia (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Martin, H., Katharina, S., Daniel, B.: Towards the semantic web in e-tourism: can annotation do the trick? In: Proc. of the 14th ECIS 2006. (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Prantner, K., Ding, Y., Luger, M., Yan, Z., Herzog, C.: Tourism Ontology and Semantic Management System: State-of-the-arts Analysis, Proceedings of WWW/Internet 2007 Vila Real, Portugal, October (2007), IADIS, 2007Google Scholar
- 7.Ricca, F., Gallucci, L., Schindlauer, R., Dell’Armi, T., Grasso, G., Leone, N.: OntoDLV: an ASP-based system for enterprise ontologies. Journal of Logic and Computation (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Sebastiani, F.: Machine learning in automated text categorization, ACM Comput. Surv., 34(1), 2002, 1–47Google Scholar
- 10.Terracina, G., Leone, N., Lio, V., Panetta, C.: Experimenting with recursive queries in database and logic programming systems. TPLP 8 (2008) 129–165Google Scholar