Intelligent Transport Systems: How to Manage a Research in a New Field for IS
This paper sheds light on the management of a research project in a new topic for IS like the one of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS). It describes and discusses the methodology adopted for a survey designed by the authors and experimented during a recent research on ITS carried out on behalf of an Italian Ministry. The paper presents the first results of this research and draw some conclusions on the problems that have to be faced in order to successfully manage such type of research projects and to build a common knowledge base on ITS.
KeywordsResearch Strategy Mobility Management Data Collection Process Freight Transport Intelligent Transport System
- 1.Crainic, T.G., Gendreau, M., Potvin, J.Y. (2009). Intelligent freight-transportation systems: Assessment and the contribution of operations research. In Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 17 (6), 541–557, Elsevier Ltd.Google Scholar
- 2.Commission of the European Communities (2008). Action Plan for the Deployment of Intelligent Transport Systems in Europe. Resource Document. Available on http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2008:0886:FIN:EN:PDF.
- 4.Bohli, J.M., Hessler, A., Ugus, O., Westhoff, D. (2008). A secure and resilient WSN roadside architecture for intelligent transport systems. Proceedings of the first ACM conference on Wireless network security, ACM, 161–171.Google Scholar
- 5.Arief, B., Blythe, P., Fairchild, R., Selvarajah, K., Tully, A. (2008). Integrating smartdust into intelligent transportation systems. 10th International Conference on Application of Advanced Technologies in Transportation, 27 – 31.Google Scholar
- 6.Hasan, M.K.(2010). A Framework for Intelligent Decision Support System for Traffic Congestion Management System, Scientific Research Publishing.Google Scholar
- 7.Gartner N. H., Stamatiadis C., Tarnoff, P. J. (1995). Development of Advanced Traffic Signal Control Strategies for Intelligent Transportation Systems: Multilevel Design. Transportation Research Record, 1494.Google Scholar
- 8.Bishop R. (2000). A survey of Intelligent Vehicle Applications Worldwide, IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 2000, October 3–5, Dearborn (MI), USA.Google Scholar
- 9.Masaki, I. (1998). Machine-vision systems for intelligent transportation systems. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 24–31.Google Scholar
- 10.Figueiredo, L., Jesus, I., Machado, J.A.T., Ferreira, J.R., Martins de Carvalho, J.L. (2001). Towards the development of intelligent transportation systems, 4th IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, Oakland (CA), 1207–1212.Google Scholar
- 11.Russo, F., Comi, A. (2004). A State of the Art on Urban Freight Distribution at European Scale, presented at ECOMM 2004, Lyon, available from The European Conference on Mobility Management, http://www.epomm.org.
- 12.European Commission’s Directorate-General for Energy and Transport, Transport Research Centre (2009). Intelligent Transport Systems, thematic research summary. Resource Document. Available on http://www.transport-research.info/Upload/Documents/201002/20100215_125401_19359_TRS_IntelligentTransportSystems.pdf.
- 13.Spyropoulou, I., Karlaftis, M ., Golias, J., Yannis G., Penttinen, M. (2005) Intelligent transport systems today: a European perspective. European Transport Conference 2005, October 3–5, Strasbourg, France.Google Scholar
- 14.Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA) - U.S. Department of Transportation. (2009) Taxonomy of Intelligent Transportation Systems Applications. Resource Document. Available on http://www.itslessons.its.dot.gov/its/benecost.nsf/images/Reports/$File/Taxonomy.pdf
- 15.European Commission, Energy and Transportation DG, Luxembourg, (2003) Intelligent transport systems. Intelligence at the service of transport networks. Available on http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/themes/network/english/its/pdf/its_br_ochure_2003_en.pdf.
- 16.Ministero delle Infrastrutture e dei Trasporti - Direzione Generale per la Programmazione. (2003). Sistemi ITS – stato dell’arte.Google Scholar