Probabilistic Recurrence Relations
A sampling of discrete probability problems, some of them coming from consulting work, is presented. We demonstrate how a probabilistic recurrence relation arises from the pit of the problem and present ways and means of solving the recurrence relation.
KeywordsRecurrence Relation Light Bulb Transition Probability Matrix Independent Copy Fibonacci Sequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
H. Zhang would like to thank the Department of Environmental Health at the University of Cincinnati for the support and splendid hospitality during his visits.
- 1.Balas B, Connor C (2004–2005) Look up and scream: Analytical difficulties in improv comedy. J Recreat Math 33:32–38Google Scholar
- 2.David F, Barton D (1962) Combinatorial chance. Hafner Publishing Company, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Durrett R (1996) Probability: Theory and examples, 2nd ed. Duxbury, BelmontGoogle Scholar
- 6.Li S (1980) A martingale approach to the study of occurence of sequence patterns in repeated experiments. Ann Prob 8:1171–1176 *Google Scholar
- 9.Rao MB, Zhang H, Huang C, Chen F (2009) A discrete probability problem in bonding of molecules. PreprintGoogle Scholar