Dynamic User Modeling for Personalized Advertisement Delivery on Mobile Devices
With the advent of broadband connections, the Internet service providers have begun to charge users with fees in order to cover the higher infrastructural costs due to the management/rental of broadband networks. However, the user is often left the chance for a free Internet connection, provided that he/she accepts to be invaded by banner ads, which arbitrarily, in terms of time and position, appear on the screen. In order to make effective the latter, the Internet service providers have been studying the most appropriate advertisement (ad, for short) supply policy, in order to satisfy companies who wish to advertise their products without annoying the user while he/she is interacting with the service. In this paper we present an approach for the presentation of personalized ads on mobile devices, which is based on a user model that takes into account user’s interests over time. The approach has been adopted within the LUNA wireless network project, which is targeted at realizing a business model such that the services provided in the area of Trento, in the North of Italy, are accessible and usable by everybody, at a very low cost.
KeywordsMobile Device Internet Service Provider Vector Space Model User Interest Online Advertising
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Internet world statistics http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
- 2.“Online advertising in Europe surges 40% to €11 billion in 2007”, Available at http://www.iabeurope.eu/
- 3.IAB Ad Unit Guidelines http://www.iab.net/iab_products_and_industry_services/1421/1443/1452
- 4.DoubleClick, http://www.doubleclick.com/, “Creative insights on rich media”, September 2008
- 5.Mobile Internet usage and attitudes study, dotMoby & AKQA, May 2008Google Scholar
- 6.Mobile marketing association (MMA), “Mobile advertising guidelines”, October 2008Google Scholar