Emerging Markets: Overview and Performance Analysis
Emerging markets have become increasingly important in international portfolio management and world financial system. They now represent a dynamic set of investment opportunities for both individual and institutional investors. Although much has been learned about emerging market finance, these markets still pose challenges for finance studies as standard models are often ill suited to deal with their specific characteristics.
The purpose of this chapter is to provide a comprehensive review of emerging markets through presenting their qualitative and quantitative characteristics. The focus is also put on the ways for foreign investors to gain access to these markets as well as on country and specific risks because their assessment affects, to a large extent, international investment decisions.
KeywordsStock Market Foreign Investor Equity Market International Bond Political Risk
- Chuhan P (1992) Sources of portfolio investment in emerging markets. Working Paper, International Economic Department, World BankGoogle Scholar
- Claessens S, Rhee MW (1994) The effects of barriers on equity investments in developing countries. World Bank Policy Research Paper, No. 1263Google Scholar
- Clark E, Tunaru R (2001) Emerging markets: investing with political risk. Multinational Financ J 5(3):155–173Google Scholar
- Derrabi M (1997) Emerging stock markets: an essay of classification. Working Paper, Institut d’Administration et de Gestion, IAG-UCLGoogle Scholar
- Grubel HG (1968) Internationally diversified portfolios: welfare gains and capital flows. Am Econ Rev 58(5):1299–1314Google Scholar
- Levy H, Sarnat M (1970) International diversification of investment portfolios. Am Econ Rev 60(4):668–675Google Scholar
- Mallat R, Nguyen DK (2008) Does macroeconomic transparency help governments be solvent? Evidence from recent data. In: M Bellalah et al. (ed.), Risk Management and Value: Valuation and Asset Pricing, World Scientific Studies in International Economics, 7:639–655Google Scholar