Principles for Multivariate Surveillance
Multivariate surveillance is of interest in industrial production as it enables the monitoring of several components. Recently there has been an increased interest also in other areas such as detection of bioterrorism, spatial surveillance and transaction strategies in finance.
Several types of multivariate counterparts to the univariate Shewhart, EWMA and CUSUM methods have been proposed. Here a review of general approaches to multivariate surveillance is given with respect to how suggested methods relate to general statistical inference principles.
Suggestions are made on the special challenges of evaluating multivariate surveillance methods.
KeywordsControl Chart Quality Technology Syndromic Surveillance Surveillance Method Alarm Statistic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alt, F. B. (1985) Multivariate quality control. In Encyclopedia of Statistical Science, Vol. 6 (Eds, Johnson, N. L. and Kotz, S.) Wiley, New York, pp. 110-122.Google Scholar
- Andersson, E. (2007) Effect of dependency in systems for multivariate surveillance. Research Report 2007:1, Statistical Research Unit, University of Gothenburg.Google Scholar
- Basseville, M. and Nikiforov, I. (1993) Detection of abrupt changes- Theory and application, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs.Google Scholar
- Bock, D. (2007) Aspects on the control of false alarms in statistical surveillance and the impact on the return of financial decision systems. Journal of Applied Statistics, (in press).Google Scholar
- Bodnar, O. and Schmid, W. (2004) CUSUM control schemes for multivariate time series. In Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control. Intelligent Statistical Quality control Warsaw.Google Scholar
- Fricker, R. D. (2007) Directionally Sensitive Multivariate Statistical Process Control Procedures with Application to Syndromic Surveillance Advances in Disease Surveillance, 3, 1-17.Google Scholar
- Hochberg, Y. and Tamhane, A. C. (1987) Multiple comparison procedures, Wiley New York.Google Scholar
- Hotelling, H. (1947) Multivariate quality control. In Techniques of statistical analysis (Eds,Eisenhart , C., Hastay, M. W. and Wallis, W. A.) McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Järpe, E. (2001) Surveillance, environmental. In Encyclopedia of Environmetrics (Eds, El-Shaarawi, A. and Piegorsh, W. W.) Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Kourti, T. and MacGregor, J. F. (1996) Multivariate SPC methods for process and product monitoring. Journal of Quality Technology, 28, 409-428.Google Scholar
- Mason, R. L., Tracy, N. D. and Young, J. C. (1995) Decomposition of T2 for multivariate control chart interpretation. Journal of Quality Technology, 27, 99-108.Google Scholar
- Mostashari, F. and Hartman, J. (2003) Syndromic surveillance: a local perspective. Journal of Urban Health, 80, I1-I7.Google Scholar
- Pignatiello, J. J. and Runger, G. C. (1990) Comparisons of multivariate CUSUM charts. Journal of Quality Technology, 22, 173-186.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, M. R. and Keunpyo, K. (2005) Multivariate Monitoring of the Process Mean Vector With Sequential Sampling. Journal of Quality Technology, 37, 149-162.Google Scholar
- Runger, G. C. (1996) Projections and the U2 chart for multivariate statistical process control. Journal of Quality Technology, 28, 313-319.Google Scholar
- Runger, G. C., Barton, R. R., Del Castillo, E. and Woodall, W. H. (2007) Optimal Monitoring of Multivariate Data for Fault Detection”. Journal of Quality Technology, 39, 159-172.Google Scholar
- Sahni, N. S., Aastveit, A. H. and Naes, T. (2005) In-Line Process and Product COntrol Using Spectroscopy and Multivariate Calibration. Journal of Quality Technology, 37, 1-20.Google Scholar
- Shewhart, W. A. (1931) Economic Control of Quality of Manufactured Product, MacMillan and Co., London.Google Scholar
- Sonesson, C. and Frisén, M. (2005) Multivariate surveillance. In Spatial surveillance for public health (Eds, Lawson, A. and Kleinman, K.) Wiley, New York, pp. 169-186.Google Scholar
- Timm, N. H. (1996) Multivariate quality control using finite intersection tests. Journal of Quality Technology, 28, 233-243.Google Scholar
- Wärmefjord, K. (2004) Multivariate quality control and Diagnosis of Sources of Variation in Assembled Products. Licentiat Thesis, Department of Mathematics, Göteborg University.Google Scholar