The Protection of Minors in ICT Networks: The Liability of the Internet Providers
Italian (and EU) legislation in force does not appear to address the protection of minors in ICT networks in a completely satisfactory manner. Such conclusion especially arises when one considers that no liability is attributed on providers which only transmit information generated by a recipient of their service, or which merely give access to a communication network, with only a few specific exceptions.
KeywordsPersonal Data Social Network Site Copyright Infringement General Obligation Legislative Decree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See Georgetown University Law Center, Institute for public representation, Comment on Online Behavioral Advertising Principles, 11 April 2008, available at url www.ftc.gov/os/comments/behavioraladprinciples/080411childadvocacy.pdf.
- 2.Perils might be the following: identity theft; sold of personal data and consumer profiles; invasive advertisement; damage to future job careers.Google Scholar
- 3.See Georgetown University Law Center, Comment (quoted), p. 6.Google Scholar
- 4.See Ponemon Institute and Vontu comments on research “2007 Consumer Survey on Data Security” at URL www.ponemon.org/press/06-25-07-Ponemon_Consumer_Survey_FINAL.pdf.
- 5.See Corriere della Sera, 3 May 2006, Rizzo, S., “Videohard e il telefonino si ricarica”.Google Scholar
- 6.See Walden, I., sub art. 13 of the Directive 2000/31/CE, in AA.VV., Concise European IT Law, Bullesbach-Poullet-Prins (edited by), Kluwer Law International, 2006, p. 250.Google Scholar
- 7.See Walden, I., sub art. 14 and sub art. 15 of the Directive 2000/31/CE, in AA.VV., Concise European IT Law, Bullesbach-Poullet-Prins (edited by), Kluwer Law International, 2006, p. 252.Google Scholar
- 8.See e.g. Tribunale di Cuneo, 23 June 1997; Tribunale di Roma, 22 March 1999; Tribunale di Roma, 4 July 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.See e.g. Tribunale di Napoli, 8 August 1997; Tribunale di Macerata, 2 December 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.Contrarily, Cour d’Appel de Paris, 10 February 1999 recognized the provider’s liability for copyright infringement on images.Google Scholar
- 11.See, among others, Whereas 32 and 49 and art. 16 of Directive 2000/31/EC, which has been implemented in Italy with Legislative Decree No. 70/2003.Google Scholar
- 12.See the solution implemented by the UK ICO: http://www.ico.gov.uk/youth.aspx.
- 13.Garante per la Protezione dei Dati Personali - Relazione 2007 - Discorso del Presidente Francesco Pizzetti, Roma, p. 9.Google Scholar